Almost stock but smokes like a pull truck

BigJDW

Reaction score
Need help i recently bought a 95 with a 97 California 7.3l. It only has a custom intake and strait piped exhaust, but when i add a chip it pours crazy amounts of black smoke. I wanted to know if this is normal for split shot injectors or is some thing not working right?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Check your boots for cracks/ boost leaks.

Do you have gauges?

Know what your boost psi is wot?

Need more info...

BigJDW

Reaction score
Sorry to broke to afford any gauges to monitor everything. All i know is without the chip the there's no smoke but when i get in the throttle with the chip there's a black cloud following me. I know is not the chip its just a simple super chip with three setting and when its in my brothers truck it barely puffs any black smoke at all.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i would start checking for boost and up pipe leaks. pull the boots off the intake and check for leaks, its easiest to take the intake Y to do that if they check out, look at the exhaust manifolds and up pipes where they meet and behind the turbo. if they are leaking you will see soot at the leak.

BigJDW

Reaction score
I'm almost positive there's no boost leaks or any on the exhaust side because i had to pull the turbo recently to replace the fuel pump(ca. emissions bs). When i was in there i didn't see any sot build up and i made sure i tightened everything back down. I will check again tomorrow just to be sure but its not like it smokes without the chip.

Reaction score
Is the chip burned for splits? I'm assuming the PCM and the wiring harness are the Cali versions? Cali PCMs are wired totally different than 49-state versions. Cheers!

BigJDW

Reaction score
I took it back out today to try and get a video of if it but i noticed its only doing it when the turbos not spooled up. It used to smoke even when it was. I'm think it had some thing to do with the return screen in the fuel bowl being clogged because that's the only thing Ive changed that might effect fuel pressure. That fact plus the split shot injectors is probably the huge difference I'm seeing between my brothers truck and mine. Thanks for all the help.

94.5stroker

Reaction score
Could it be HPOP not able to keep up? I was told this is prolly the problem with my stage ones and all the smoke they put out...... aren't the splits supposed to be pretty oil hungry anyways? Maybe with the chip and increased fuel needs, the HPOP can't keep up and isn't atomizing the fuel correctly? Idk just what I was told with my problem.

samoht517

Reaction score
My cali truck can smoke like crazy until it gets boost. My friends truck same way. The split shot are 130cc as apposed to federal trucks being 98cc single shot

Vengeance

Reaction score
Sorry to broke to afford any gauges to monitor everything. All i know is without the chip the there's no smoke but when i get in the throttle with the chip there's a black cloud following me. I know is not the chip its just a simple super chip with three setting and when its in my brothers truck it barely puffs any black smoke at all.

I would say its one of two things. Whoever put the motor in, might have put in bigger injectors.

OR, if they swapped the motor, but retained the harness and pcm for the 95, then, you are using a TEE5 or similar pcm code and it will fuel alot differently and with the bigger cali splits, and it will smoke.

BigJDW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice I'm not really worried about it now that it only does it when the boost is low instead of when ever i get on the pedal. As far as what the retards who did the eng. swap did I'm not really sure, it looks like they let a two year old loose with a pair of wire strippers and walked away, so when i get the time and money every harness i can get my hand on is getting replaced. But for right now she runs(and sounds) like a big rig, except for an annoying miss, so I'm happy with my first Powerstroke. :ford:

Latest posts

Members online