Another 7.3 hp thread , how much does it really take?

Yellow1000

Reaction score
Looking at going the next step over the winter with my 96 that I wasn't able to sell. Has the basics already, swamps tunes, intake and 3 "dp.
I see everyone shoots for 4-500 hp. I am not spending that much now, so what I'm asking from those who have been there and done it, how much power does it take to just be a good running fun truck? 300-350hp? If I've read right this can be done at a reasonable expense and still reliable without investing a fortune ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruce

Reaction score
on a 96 i would just do 160's, efuel, intercooler, 1.0 exhaust housin and a ww2. thats a set up to get the hp you asked about, maybe a little more

Yellow1000

Reaction score
I've asked this before also, but reality hit lol. Realistically if I got it I the ground I could expect to run 15s? Maybe high 14?

bruce

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure a sd makin that much power will run low 15's or high 14's so a lighter obs should run that pretty easy. but you'd have to ask the obs crowd for confirmation

Yellow1000

Reaction score
That would be satisfactory to me. At least enough to give the average newer tuned truck a decent run , long as I was closer to the 14 second side. Hell, nobody expects anything from an OBS around here anyway.

Reaction score
With 300-350hp you won't run any "newer" tuned truck, however you will be right at the rwhp of most newer trucks that don't have any modifications. And newer as in 08 an up.

02BigD

Reaction score
A 38r, 160/100% injectors, good tunes, with a converter and some valve body mods make a nice trouble free DD. That would be around 350-375 hp in the big tune, but be smoke free and tow cool.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
That's what's wierd around here. None of them seem to be running any hot tunes. The fastest 6.0 was a 2wd dually I saw at gateway do a 14.40, and an 08-10 cclb dually 4x4 run a 13.7 on 22.5s and 37s which I know is haulin ass for having that heavy a wheel and tire.

mattman347

Reaction score
A few years back (6+) I ran some stage 2's, E-fuel, TS chip, 17* HPOP and was able to get into the high 14's after I figured out the launch.

Jason

Reaction score
Honestly, your average modified diesel in small tpwn usa isn't going to be anything to write home about. You still see a lot of tuned 6.4's in the mid 13's depending on what exactly is done. You just see so many running 12.x here on the forum, or making 600-800rw, that starts to seem "par" for them. A 7.3 with tunes, and basic mods puts 290-320 on average I guess, those numbers may be ~10hp or so off in either direction, but that's what stock 6.4's and 6.7's seem to be putting down. Will you be able to outrun a stock 6.7, or a stock 6.4? I don't think so due to the more efficient common rail design, and it's superior fuel delivery through the rpm range, I think stop light to stop light the 7.3 would have it, but anything past 60-ish the common rail motor would start pulling it. I could be wrong,

Weight will be the biggest issue, my old '02 could outrun 5.3l ecsb chevy's, around town, and from a highway speed roll, and i outran a 5.9 crewcab dodge several times with a diablo tune on it, and it might have ran mid 15's. My current rclb 2wd truck might run mid-high 14's with tunes, exhaust, hpop, 300-ish in that light of a truck is plenty fun for spirited daily driving.

Reaction score
Its all what you feel is fun for HP. When i first was around 500 that was awesome for a while and trans aside was cheap to get there. That got boring went bigger was about 600 that got boring now im 650-700 and that is getting boring so its all personal opinion imo ha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.