Another cold start problem

dave186

Reaction score
Ok guys I need a little advice. My truck isn't starting well when its below 30 degrees. I have new beru glow plugs and stancor relay which made no change at all. What it does is it tries to light off but just won't catch. It tries hard enough to disengage the starter then I have to stop cranking, let the starter slow down and try again. This usually happens 4 or 5 times then it finaly takes off and I fet a puff of grey smoke. Runs fine as soon as it goes, no missing or smoke or any of that.

Right now I'm thinking its my tuning. I never had this problem last winter. I'm going to have to pull the chip and try it that way. I don't have a stock tune on it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Smokyred

Reaction score
I had that issue with some of my tunes, I put it back in the stock program and it fired up fine. It gets too cold up here and my truck liked it best when I started and ran it in a lower or stock tune until it built a little heat.

Dave

dave186

Reaction score
Good to hear. Hopefully my diagnosis is correct. I didn't try starting it on the high idle or drive thru tunes but it was the same on the tow programs as my economy that I usually run.

Just seems like to much or not enough timing or something. Cause once it starts its just fine. I am looking for new tunes as I'm not 100% happy with what I have now. Of course ill never be 100% happy!

Tom S

Reaction score
Do you think your batteries, cables or starter might be causing just a bit of a slow enough cranking to cause this?

chromehound

Reaction score
Are you just waiting for the WTS light to go out or are you letting it sit longer? I did the LED relay light mod and my LED would stay on for ~2 min when it was cold but the WTS went out after a few seconds.

JDub

Reaction score
Tuning can play a role in it, maybe give Cale a call and see what he says Dave. Let us know if we can help...

dave186

Reaction score
I can wait the full 2 minutes and it makes no difference. My truck cranks as fast as any 7.3 I've ever heard. I have the newer style starter. Like I said it trys to take off, hits fast enough the bendix in the starter kicks out and I have to try again.

Jacob I emailed cale about 3 weeks ago about some other things and never got a reply.

I really just need to get live tuned.

dave186

Reaction score
player.swf

Is that cranking fast enough?

Latest posts

Members online