Another one bites the dust

PA Stroker

Reaction score
My forged rod motor let loose on me an thursday night.:cursing: Not sure what happened I was just driving along like a grandpa for once and it just started missing really bad. I pulled over and took a look at it and theres a hole in the passengers side of the block. Its kinda hard to see in the pics.

null_zps631cbcac.jpg

null_zpsa3cf92a8.jpg

null_zps35feaa8a.jpg

Im thinking i might have seized a piston but i wont know for sure till i get it pulled out.

On another note who's got a block thats close to me? Im in north eastern PA

bigfords

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your engine...thats no fun.
I have 2 forged rod engines...I was thinking about selling 1 of the engine blocks and rebuilding the other. If you are interested shoot me a PM and we can discuss. I live in Muncy, PA.

How long were you running the 250/200s before it this problem?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Got forged rod engines also. REASONABLE prices. Located in Delaware 2 hours south of Lancaster. 2 hours south of philly
. Number in sig.

DocBar

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. How many miles on the motor before the mods?

Have you considered holding off on a new build until you can get a built motor or is this a DD that you need back on the road asap?

PA Stroker

Reaction score
The motor was a fresh rebuild. And it is my DD but i have another truck to drive in the mean time. The next motor will be fully built rods, girdle, fire rings etc. That way when i get bored of the 250/200 down the road i can go bigger.

DocBar

Reaction score
The motor was a fresh rebuild. And it is my DD but i have another truck to drive in the mean time. The next motor will be fully built rods, girdle, fire rings etc. That way when i get bored of the 250/200 down the road i can go bigger.
Sweet! Are you going to do the build or have it built? A lot of guys on here brag on the "built not bought" thing, but having someone that knows how to build one of these motors for higher hp applications is the way to go, imo. Getting a motor fully balanced and blueprinted is tough to do under a shade tree with the local machine shop doing the machining. Not commenting on your abilities at all. You might be fully capable. On a 7.3, I am not.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Sweet! Are you going to do the build or have it built? A lot of guys on here brag on the "built not bought" thing, but having someone that knows how to build one of these motors for higher hp applications is the way to go, imo. Getting a motor fully balanced and blueprinted is tough to do under a shade tree with the local machine shop doing the machining. Not commenting on your abilities at all. You might be fully capable. On a 7.3, I am not.

DocBar,
Who are the best builders out there? pm if you don't want to post it.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Stock rebuild to mildly built I don't mind doing myself. Its when you start going fully built that you really want to have a professional do it. The top 4 builders in my mind are HRT, Swamps, and DI. Carson Stauffer built the one I have. I really want an HRT engine.....

DocBar

Reaction score
Stock rebuild to mildly built I don't mind doing myself. Its when you start going fully built that you really want to have a professional do it. The top 4 builders in my mind are HRT, Swamps, and DI. Carson Stauffer built the one I have. I really want an HRT engine.....

On a bang-for-the-buck note, the Swamps competition long block is the way I would go. I don't see anything to argue with your picks but I would add Empire to the list.

My DI built motor is still running strong, though and I have no complaints at all on the assembly.

There should be a disclaimer with any high hp build that there will be bugs that need to be worked out and that it's frustrating getting them worked out. That would keep someone from showing their ass (like me maybe? lol) when things weren't perfect from the get-go.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

dont say that! have you ever seen the size oh hrt's head? its big enough! lol

live life full throttle

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
If my wife would let me, I would be going to pick one of his up in the next couple weeks. Then I would have one in my white truck and one in my race truck. I'm half tempted to do it now and ask forgiveness later. LOL

PA Stroker

Reaction score
I'm gonna have a local machine shop do all the machine work and I'll put it together my self with my dad. He's a certified diesel mechanic for over 35 years. Im pretty confident with the machine shop they've been building big block drag motors for the last 40 years.

Latest posts

Members online