Another rough idle 7.3, gonna be for sale soon

Whiplash16

Reaction score
Searched countless hours on the forums and tried lots of thing with no luck. E99
Mods are-
CAI, 4" exhaust, unlimited diesel 160cc single shots 0%, 02 turbo with ww and banks housing with banks WG, new valve springs, riffraff crossover, running tunes from gearhead, rebuilt trans.
When its cold it seems okay or better but when its warmed up the truck will shake. Not real bad but enough to be annoying. It will also chug at 35 mph and 1100 rpm.
Things I have changed in this long quest are-
New IPR, swapped icp with no oil in either connector, swapped in a swamps idm but prior to a new test tune I have now do to hpo being a little low. New ebp tube and cleaned sensor. Gray cps, and new uvch. Pulled injectors again and had them checked. Supposedly checked out fine.
The truck seems kind of smokey to me but otherwise runs good. Hits 28lbs boost and never seen the egt over 1200.
Fuel pressure seemed to be an issue. Was at 72 and changed the spring to get down to 65 and it run slightly better.
When it chugs the hpo will fluctuate up and down. Not sure what fuel pressure does at that time tho. New front main seal, I however did not take it of but the lpop looked okay and I don't see how I could have put it on wrong beings it has good pressure. Rebuilt oil cooler also.
I think I am getting air from the tank but it will do this even with a full tank, I also put a hose from the fuel pump into a jug to ensure I'm not getting air with no luck.
Another issue is that a couple times I've went to start it she will just crank and no start, cycle the key and starts up with a cloud of white smoke. Mpg seems low also. Getting 14 driving like normal.
If anyone could help that would be great. I'm willing to try anything but not sure what's left to try anymore...and thanks for reading my novel.

Last edited:

Whiplash16

Reaction score
Oh and only codes I have gotten is
1280- for ICP circuit low which I have unplugged while running seems to run just slightly better but on high idle it makes a big difference. High idle tune it acts like it misses and ICP unplugged it doesn't do that.
1249- WG performance not sure on that.
1211- ICP higher or lower than desired.
0475 epv malfunction.

Reaction score
I don't know Unlimited and by no means want to bash. May not even be the issue but let me share an experience. I had a set of injectors put in by a reputable local shop. Truck had some of the symptoms you decribe, especially the hot idle issue. Putting on a Swamps IDM acually made it worse. Called Swamps and found out the issues is on the oil side of the injectors. Poppets. And the injector builder found nothing wrong with them either. Might not be your issue, but it could be.

Whiplash16

Reaction score
Was it multiple injectors you had troubles with? And would a cont. test show that or buzz test?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.