Any help for these brakes?....

1BD9D7

Reaction score
My F250 is about to go to the scrap yard.... I am far beyond tired of it. I have replaced three brake calipers within the last 2000 miles, one time the rotor was bad also. These brakes get hot very fast, on a trip to town (10 miles) they are hot, but fine. However, 2 out of the last 3 times I've taken it beyond 25 miles from home it's had extreme brake heat. One occasion the RF caliper started smoking quite bad and I was able to pull it off the road, towed it home the next day. Earlier today I was about 25 miles from home and could smell hot brakes and could clearly tell the RR was getting very hot to the point you can hardly hold your hand on the wheel/tire. It has 3 out of 4 calipers calipers that are same as new, new pads front and rear, still unbelievably hot brakes all the time. Truck is 100% useless as it sits, no doubt someone here will have a better solution than I can come up with. Thanks for any help.

Everything about the brakes looks visually awesome, nothing looks worn out, has nice braking performance also EXCEPT they get way too hot

Jomax

Reaction score
What calipers are you using?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Two recent calipers are oreilly reman calipers. They look exactly like the oem calipers but I could have possibly found more expensive/better ones. I really doubt the calipers are causing my problem at this point.

Bit more info

All the parking brake stuff is gone, removed it all. I found a thread with good info about master cylinder problem. Evidently you can have a tiny leak of brake fluid at back seal and over time leads to a ton of corrosion at back of mc. I have started thinking replacing the lines is a good idea but mine look really good, I am sure they could be weak still.

The main thing is that all four disc brakes are getting hot, as in way too hot, and I guess calipers may not really have a problem but there's something going on causing them all to get hot, it may just be random that one corner (today it was right rear) happens to be the first one to start smoking.

Let's say I'm going 50mph then let of accelarator pedal to coast, often it seems to drop speed just a bit faster than you would expect, as if I'm putting just the tiniest pressure on the brake pedal. It's so marginal that it's hard to tell if it loses speed a bit too fast or it's just normal.

Jomax

Reaction score
Seems like the MC. But I'm not 100% certain. Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I can drive mine 10 miles and I can actually put my hands on my calipers and rotors. Mine used to drag as mine would get hot like yours. I actually think if it is not your calipers or your master cylinder causing this. To check and see how tight that the pads are in the calipers. I ground a little bit off of the squares on the pads because it seemed that they were just too tight where they sit in the stainless steal sliders. Just a little bit of movement in them. To me if you have to tap them in with a hammer it doesn't take them long to build heat and get tighter to where they are dragging all the time and then ruin your caliper pistons. Disc brakes are disc brakes so why does ford have these problems when all our Chevy trucks at work that run in the rock roads and dirt of farm fields run for thousands of miles and years and never have a problem.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I have put in all four pads recently. Wagner brake pads, other option was oreilly brake best and I did not want them... I re-used the old brake pad "clips" because the new clips were absolutely impossible to use. They were super tight to the point I could not use them. While using the old (original) clips I was able to install them but yes they were still too tight imo. The front brakes were especially tight, rears not quite as bad.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Depends on who you talk to, but it seems to be a constant problem with the superduty trucks. I've got an e99 and have just replaced 4 calipers and 2 rotors after having the brakes done 2 years ago.. less than 10k km on them since last replacement. the calipers seem to seize up or stick on a regular basis. I have mine disassembled, cleaned and the sliders greased twice a year and still have problems. Nothing worse than having to step on the skinny pedal going downhill to maintain momentum. It's kinda like the death wobble thing while driving.. happens to some people and trucks but not others.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Does the brake fluid itself get warm? Also, If you get mad enough at it, I'll be over with the trailer.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
This is definately not a problem I'm gonna put up with over time. I would have to check about the fluid itself getting warm. I don't know about that. I assume it does get warm also, but what would that tell me? There's a local place I can take it, made an appointment for next week. Hopefully the whole problem is me being a moron and I've done something obviously wrong. If they rack up too much of a bill trying to figure it out, I'll just have to let them keep the truck lol. Won't bother me at this point.

On a side note, the right rear on our volvo semi locked up today, so it seems the shop is going to smell like burning brakes-even when I leave my F250 parked outside

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
If there is air in the lines and the fluid gets hot, it will lock your brakes up... it is a compounding problem... the hotter they get, the more they lock up, the more they lock up, the hotter they will get.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I have not purposely flushed all the old fluid out. I have spent quite a lot of time bleeding them lately but yes there could be some old fluid in there. The pedal itself seems good and braking performance seems fine, I don't know, I hate taking it somewhere to be worked on especially since I don't even know what the problem is exactly. Me putting parts on it at home is not free though, I will give them a chance at it, if I'm not convinced it's fixed then I will have to move on to a truck that works.

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like ATF or some foreign fluid got added to the brake reservoir...

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Sorry I had not updated yet. Monday took it apart again and dad found that I had installed the clips wrong on the rear brakes. I really hope that's 100% of the problem. Just me being an idiot.

I am now paying closer attention to my front end noise- when making a medium to hard left turn I get an awful grinding sound. At 5mph it's not audible but at faster speeds it gets quite loud, a nasty scratching noise. I know there's a few things I need to rule out

dangerous1

Reaction score
Sorry I had not updated yet. Monday took it apart again and dad found that I had installed the clips wrong on the rear brakes. I really hope that's 100% of the problem. Just me being an idiot.

I am now paying closer attention to my front end noise- when making a medium to hard left turn I get an awful grinding sound. At 5mph it's not audible but at faster speeds it gets quite loud, a nasty scratching noise. I know there's a few things I need to rule out
Grinding noise is pretty much just brakes or bearings, unless you have a lose dust cover or something.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.