Anybody ever repair tie down straps?

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Had 2 straps get cut on my last run this week. Anybody ever try repairing them? Any input on how to would be awesome

sent while doing burnouts somewhere in the country

young7.3

Reaction score
I don't think I would chance it. Not worth risking peoples lives to save a few bucks. Ratchet straps aren't that expensive.

Sent from Prestige Worldwide headquarters!

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day. My bed liner had binders welded into it and one of the straps broke near the hook on the end.

Probably easier just to buy a new one anyway. And besides, if you really have to tighten it down hard, you never want to have to second guess the strap itself. Not exactly a good feeling.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
local roll over tarp company repairs and makes them for us

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
I see yalls point. The thought of repairing them was mainly due to the fact that one was brand new and the other was on it's second load. It was my fault they got cut because of where I tied at but I did have some foam blocks inbetween the strap and the load. Oh well

Reaction score
while the tarp companies have the HD sewing machines, I dare you to ask them if they will put their name on the repair and certify it for strength. now if you can guarantee that strap will only be used for off road purposes afterward.... for DOT I would be very careful, if it failed and hurt someone a repaired strap could be very expensive

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
while the tarp companies have the HD sewing machines, I dare you to ask them if they will put their name on the repair and certify it for strength. now if you can guarantee that strap will only be used for off road purposes afterward.... for DOT I would be very careful, if it failed and hurt someone a repaired strap could be very expensive

Very good point my friend. I may just shoot a stripe of red paint on these two and use em for off road recovery

HVFC6040

Reaction score
all that a strap is, is woven material. You cut, no more weave, no more strength. There is no repair that can be mad to a strap that can equal the strength the strap originally had when it was all one woven piece. You might be able to have the ends re-sewn and have a shorter strap, but then you are still stuck with a liability issue. Heaven forbid, a strap pop and someone dies...the courts would hang you, and whoever made the repairs for sure.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Had a 30k pound tow strap that snapped.... Had a local company who has a heavy duty stitching machine stitch it back up. They overlapped it a good foot and stitched the snot out of it. The first recovery I did was maybe a 5-7 mph roll into the end , truck was stuck in about a foot of snow , and that sucker snapped.

I would never use a repaired tow strap for anything, and would never use a repaired ratchet strap for anything more than strapping down a washing machine to go to the dump...

sent while needing more cowbell

Reaction score
splicing any strap in the middle is pointless and a waste of time and money. Now if the damage is near one end, and they can shorten it and just make a new loop at the end, it should work, but like I said before I wouldn't use it in a DOT application

littleredstroker

Reaction score
splicing any strap in the middle is pointless and a waste of time and money. Now if the damage is near one end, and they can shorten it and just make a new loop at the end, it should work, but like I said before I wouldn't use it in a DOT application

That's what they did. I see now I didn't post that. When they made the loop they stitched a foot back from the loop. Make sense

sent while needing more cowbell

Reaction score
I made a homemade tow strap from a 4 in loadbinder strap that got cut right next to the hook. No guaranty just what it will hold :) but i made decent sized loops with about 16 inch of double at the end, sewing up/down and sideways. once I was done hooked it between the f350, and my brothers explorer. With his brakes fully locked on dry asphalt i could tow him at will, or even take a run at it. no sign of any give in my sewing. would it take a full on run at a heavy truck, got my doubts but I have real straps for that, a 12k warn and doubler block

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
when you shorten the strap at the end, you fold it in half, then fold it over.

in other words. our 4" straps are 37k straps. fold it, to make it a 2" strap at the end, then fold it about 18", and we bolted it.

heat a nail glowing hot, melt a hole, put a bolt and washer through the hole, stagger the holes, one about every 3". we used 5/16 bolts.

that 4" strap we repaired, pulled a john deere 7810 front assist out of the mud, using another john deere 7930 front assist, and our repair didn't fail.

DOT would flag that as unsafe. pretty much, if you have to repair any kind of load securing item, or load lifting item, you need to replace it. your repaired item can still be used in your personal use, or off road.

Latest posts

Members online