Anybody have an upgraded alt?

AKHILF

Reaction score
I have a 2003 6.0 and am currently installing 4 kicker L7's and a kicker zx2500.1. I will also be putting in components that will most likely be 4 6.5 T2 rockfords and 2 tweeters for now and most likely a zx350.1x4. Im really starting to get worried that my stock alt and batterys wont be enough. Any idea's? upgraded alt or different batterys? Thanks for the help.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
farad cap or i think that how you spell it. It will hold a charge in it and keep your lights from dimming or the system from drawing everything off your batts.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Yeah I had a cap in my other truck and still have it in the garage but I was thinking I'd rather try the alt way this time. I would mount another audio battery but I don't know where I'd put it.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have the alternator that comes with the snowplow prep package.. Electric/ hydraulic Plows use a lot of juice, I can't amagine you would need more than that..

Atsah

Reaction score
OP, if jdc753 doesn't post in your thread you may want to ask him through PM.. He knows a lot about the systems your talking about and I'm sure he can answer your questions and be glad to..

Mdub707

Reaction score
farad cap or i think that how you spell it. It will hold a charge in it and keep your lights from dimming or the system from drawing everything off your batts.

Farad is a measurement of capacitance. So there are different levels of caps, .5 Farad, 1 Farad, etc... FWIW, we run a 1 Farad cap in my gf's escape, a JL 500.1 pushing 2 JLW3 12's, and the lights still dim pretty good at night. It's using an Optima red top, I'm pretty sure her alt just needs to be upgraded.

I have the alternator that comes with the snowplow prep package.. Electric/ hydraulic Plows use a lot of juice, I can't amagine you would need more than that..

What size is that? On a 7.3 right? Still single alt?

My truck, for some ungodly reason, has the ambulance prep package, so it got dual alts from the factory, on a supercab/shortbed truck... and it didn't even have upfitters. Weird. I forget what the total amperage is out of the alts, but it's huge.

Atsah

Reaction score
Farad is a measurement of capacitance. So there are different levels of caps, .5 Farad, 1 Farad, etc... FWIW, we run a 1 Farad cap in my gf's escape, a JL 500.1 pushing 2 JLW3 12's, and the lights still dim pretty good at night. It's using an Optima red top, I'm pretty sure her alt just needs to be upgraded.

What size is that? On a 7.3 right? Still single alt?

My truck, for some ungodly reason, has the ambulance prep package, so it got dual alts from the factory, on a supercab/shortbed truck... and it didn't even have upfitters. Weird. I forget what the total amperage is out of the alts, but it's huge.

6.0.. Single alt.. Ambulance prep on a SCSB? that is weird.. You could run concert lighting in that thing..LOL

Mdub707

Reaction score
6.0.. Single alt.. Ambulance prep on a SCSB? that is weird.. You could run concert lighting in that thing..LOL

And other than the dual alt's, I'm not even sure what else comes with the ambulance prep. The truck had to of been ordered that way, but I still don't know why anyone would even order it like that. It was traded in with only 14,700 miles on it, which is when I bought it. I will never even come close to using the alt's to their full potential. It's something like 300+amps

Atsah

Reaction score
And other than the dual alt's, I'm not even sure what else comes with the ambulance prep. The truck had to of been ordered that way, but I still don't know why anyone would even order it like that. It was traded in with only 14,700 miles on it, which is when I bought it. I will never even come close to using the alt's to their full potential. It's something like 300+amps

It must have the AIC unit allready in it..

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When I had a stereo in my 04, it did fine with the dual alts. I didnt have as much power as you plan, but I think the dual alts. will handle it.
I did put in a 1 farad cap at the time of install and my lights never dimmed.
I only had 2 10's but the amp was an my old competition Zapco amp running them among 2 other amps for mids, highs and a center channel. The Zapco only would suck my mini-truck and T-bird lights down bad at night with either 2 or 4 10's, didnt matter. The amp loves to take power.
I would run a cap and dual alts. Run BIG power and ground wires to distribution blocks and ground to the frame. Wire the cap into one of the ports on the distribution block.
I am also a big fan of relays. I would run a relay off the distribution block also that you use for the turn on for all the amps. That way you know you are getting the volts to turn them on.
I have seem a lot of stereos that I didnt think would dim lights, I think it is bad connections some of the time.
But like everyone, it is only an opinion.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
Just get a bigger alternator, and/or add a 3rd battery on the frame rail. Caps are useless.
I've got a JL 1000/1v2 and 2 JL 300/2v2 amps. They LOVE to draw power, I tried a cap, a 25 Farad, (thats right 25 Farad) and it did NOTHING to help the system. If someone wants it, I'll make the a heck of a deal on it.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Capacitors are only good as noise filters. They actually help in a 100% Sound Quality build but most people including me dont care about that level of sound quality.

Capacitors for too much current draw is useless.

Latest posts

Members online