Anyone ever drill out the fuel banjo?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I have a spare set and I was looking at them and wondering why I couldn't just drill/dremel them out a bit. I can see where drilling them out too much might weaken the bolt and make it twist. Sure seems cheaper than $100 for a set.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
People have drilled them, there's even a youtube vid from everybody's favorite "mechanic" in georgia.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I tried it a couple of years ago after hearing about it from the "mechanic". Tried to drill all the holes out to 1/4" but it weakened it too much and twisted. Tried another and just did 2 holes and I didn't like how it left a rough edge. Tried to file it down but just wasn't satisfied. Put the stockers back in and called it a day.

I've often wondered if they help or not.

Last edited:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
^^ Probably where the machined bolts win.

I think a few of the 7.3 "all stars" are runnin factory bolts though, which makes one wonder if it's worth the trouble.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
I feed the heads through the fittings DI makes, then drilled the factory banjos on the return out a size or 2 larger (like 1/32" or 1/16" overall). Mark them while they are installed, then drill out the 1 or 2 that is oriented toward the 1/8" npt port.

-Michael

Reaction score
i went ahead and got ITP's banjo bolts..there very nice looking..the 2 holes and the center hole are all bigger...the side holes have been Undercut for Maximum Flow...there are no sharp edges like a drill bit would leave behind...

Reaction score
I am not sure if I will be able to tell..I'm swapping motors,going to bigger injectors as well as putting on the SRP1..I figured if it did any thing at all..it would help my fuel pump flow the fuel a little easer...

Last edited:

AzPsd55

Reaction score
I drilled mine out a couple years ago and it settled my idle down alittle bit but nothing to noticable. i just did one hole on the banjo, i didnt want it to bend or snap when i put themback in.

TARM

Reaction score
I feed the heads through the fittings DI makes, then drilled the factory banjos on the return out a size or 2 larger (like 1/32" or 1/16" overall). Mark them while they are installed, then drill out the 1 or 2 that is oriented toward the 1/8" npt port.

-Michael

I also go with this with the sole exception and I would point out that as long as you can adjust pressure effectively well below your running pressure the outlet ports on the head matter very little in fact running as small as you can to the regulator should offer the fastest reaction of the regulator to pressure changes in the rail. I am mainly worried about flow and turbulence. On the outlet that is far less critical. Maybe I am incorrect about this.

SO -6an hose into DI fitting rear, -4an hose out of normal NPT > -AN/JIC fittings front to reg.

389sixpack

Reaction score
I also go with this with the sole exception and I would point out that as long as you can adjust pressure effectively well below your running pressure the outlet ports on the head matter very little in fact running as small as you can to the regulator should offer the fastest reaction of the regulator to pressure changes in the rail. I am mainly worried about flow and turbulence. On the outlet that is far less critical. Maybe I am incorrect about this.

SO -6an hose into DI fitting rear, -4an hose out of normal NPT > -AN/JIC fittings front to reg.

I agree with this :whs:

Big Bore

Reaction score

Interesting info, but I'm doing a 4 way deadhead and looking for maximum flow and least amount of turbulence. I'm also looking at using longer banjo bolts and a banjo fitting on the end of the heads but there are some clearance issues I need to figure out first. Other than that it's apparent that an undercut banjo bolt with larger side ports is the better way to go, and if I use stock feed location I'll look into getting a couple more of the DI fittings to add to the two I already have ( I think? ) with my DI RR.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
I drilled mine out a while ago, not sure if it help anything because I did a few other things at the same time. I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I drilled 2 holes. Gotta be good for 50hp:D

Ford3544

Reaction score
When building my motor and making my fuel system I drilled the sides holes and the center hole hole. Not sure how big I went but I went pretty good. The motor has 15,000 miles so far and no problems. From my thought the bigger the better to help flow.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Always wondered about that. I know Jody had mentioned that ,to drill out holes larger. Does that increase flow or just smooth the flow of fuel? Does it help with big injectors?

Latest posts

Members online