Anyone personally tuning their 6 liter?

Extended Power

Reaction score
Depends on who you have doing the SCT tuning. Been using ficm tuning with sct custom tuning since 2008 with no issues. Ran ID ficm tuning and even the PHP ficm tuner with ficm tuner for larger than 30% nozzles...again, zero issues. Eric has the tuning for my truck spot on. I tried TSD tuning with the same ficm tuning and truck ran like complete crap. Reason why I stick with Eric at ********** Diesel for custom tuning

I had only used Eric as well for the last gawd knows how long...as every time I tried someone else, the truck had major issues with the shifting.
I have since tried three more tuners with my latest "build".
But I will say this...Eric has nailed the tune after a couple of revisions, every time...except for this last time...
Since I swapped in a Bullet Proof 6phase FICM, and BRAND NEW 8mm hybrid injectors, I can't get anyone to get the tuning right.
The FICM is just the power side, not the logic side, so that should not be an issue. (Set to 58volts.)
The injectors are from Jesse. His tunes he sent with the injectors, do not shift past second gear.
I have heard other trucks that are running the same size injectors, and their trucks do NOT sound like mine at all.:(
Mine sounds like a 7.3L
And has a lope at idle. (Something Jesse said it would have, if the tuner did not know they were 8mm hybrids.)
I can't find enough time to work on the engine at all...
Getting overwhelmed with it already, and losing interest in the whole damn thing. (Yes, it's really THAT bad.)
I wish I lived closer to a shop that had a tuner, and a dyno, but I don't, so getting revisions through the email system is the way it has to be. (Hence the extremely slow "test, feedback, tune, test, feedback, tune again" scenario.

Reaction score
I had only used Eric as well for the last gawd knows how long...as every time I tried someone else, the truck had major issues with the shifting.
I have since tried three more tuners with my latest "build".
But I will say this...Eric has nailed the tune after a couple of revisions, every time...except for this last time...
Since I swapped in a Bullet Proof 6phase FICM, and BRAND NEW 8mm hybrid injectors, I can't get anyone to get the tuning right.
The FICM is just the power side, not the logic side, so that should not be an issue. (Set to 58volts.)
The injectors are from Jesse. His tunes he sent with the injectors, do not shift past second gear.
I have heard other trucks that are running the same size injectors, and their trucks do NOT sound like mine at all.:(
Mine sounds like a 7.3L
And has a lope at idle. (Something Jesse said it would have, if the tuner did not know they were 8mm hybrids.)
I can't find enough time to work on the engine at all...
Getting overwhelmed with it already, and losing interest in the whole damn thing. (Yes, it's really THAT bad.)
I wish I lived closer to a shop that had a tuner, and a dyno, but I don't, so getting revisions through the email system is the way it has to be. (Hence the extremely slow "test, feedback, tune, test, feedback, tune again" scenario.

Based on your other thread you have the wrong file in your FICM. '03, for whatever reason, is super picky about matching FICM/PCM/TCM files.

For example, say your FICM has an 04 file and the PCM/TCM is an 03 file, they will slam gears, limp mode, not shift passed a certain gear, etc.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I believe this is exactly how mine is....04 ficm file with an early PCM strategy because of Eric doing a rollback strategy through tuning.

Chatham036

Reaction score
There is a steep learning curve to diesel tuning. I'm still learning.....

I had a 6.0 truck with a procharger and 175% nozzles on hybrid injectors on the dyno the other day. I succumbed to the limitation of the stock ficm tune when I tried to clean up the smoke. If PHP were to release some custom tuning software for the FICMs I could sell the hell out of them.... having to do it the backwards way we have to do it now to both get max fuel and reduce the fuel for bigger nozzles absolutely sucks...

You should check out this link:
Fun Times With PHP

Since yall are an Authorized Dealer for us, you will be able to use Minotaur (which you are already familiar with) in combination with the PHP Insight PRO for your customers as an alternative to SCT.

Particularly useful for the guys who use an x4 for programming and the CTS for monitoring. Saves the money from buying the x4 then tossing it in the glove box like most people (myself included) do.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Based on your other thread you have the wrong file in your FICM. '03, for whatever reason, is super picky about matching FICM/PCM/TCM files.

For example, say your FICM has an 04 file and the PCM/TCM is an 03 file, they will slam gears, limp mode, not shift passed a certain gear, etc.

So should I take it in and get it flashed? (Something I would hate to do.)
Or should I buy a FICM tuner?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Stock reflash. A ficm tuner won't do you any good if the ecm/tcm strategy is off to begin with

I honestly don't know if that is true... so I am not calling you out.

But I can tell you when you use a PHP FICM tuner it has 12 different tunes on it.

2003 - 4 versions
2004 - 4 versions
2005-2007 - 4 versions.

The 4 versions are the same econo, atlas 40, 80, 100... but they are set up for different years. From what I understand it overwrites your stock file... so you might not even have to worry about the reflash from Ford.

Hit up Jay @ PHP. He would know the answer

Reaction score

But I can tell you when you use a PHP FICM tuner it has 12 different tunes on it.

2003 - 4 versions
2004 - 4 versions
2005-2007 - 4 versions.

The 4 versions are the same econo, atlas 40, 80, 100... but they are set up for different years. From what I understand it overwrites your stock file... so you might not even have to worry about the reflash from Ford.

Certain 03/04 trucks with close build dates will bounce between which files they actually use. Starting fresh off the tear tag just eliminates any mix ups.

strokin6L

Reaction score

2003 - 4 versions
2004 - 4 versions
2005-2007 - 4 versions.

Yeah I agree Charlie. Only because my truck is an early 04 and ive had it reflash to an earlier strategy by Eric doing a strategy rollback. Ive tried both the 03 and 04 ficm tuning on the php tuner and they work without issues on my truck

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Certain 03/04 trucks with close build dates will bounce between which files they actually use. Starting fresh off the tear tag just eliminates any mix ups.

That is very true. I actually run a 2004 pcm and ficm in my early 2003 truck.

The cool thing about the PHP tuner is it comes pre loaded with ALL FILES. So if you load the right one then it takes less than 5 min to switch. I love how fast the FICM tuner loads compared to the SCT.

I wonder how it works with Eric's Ficm tuner? I don't think he has different files for every year

Latest posts

Members online