Anyone running a bigger/different steering system?

97strokerHD

Reaction score
vcmike, how much lift do you have? i have a 6" lift and am running into all kinds of steering problems. have to replace the steering gear, power steering pump, and pump pulley. also ordered an adjustable panhard bar and fully fabricated drop bracket for it. is there any other arms besides the skyjacker arm out there for our trucks? my pitman arm measures at five inches now but no idea of the manufacturer.

Vcmike

Reaction score
It's around 6" I believe. It's definitely bigger than my old setup(4" Rough Country) but I also changed wheels/tires as well. The truck is just about an inch or so taller than my buddies 6" Superlift. I have the PMF adjustable track bar and the drop bracket as well, not sure if that makes any difference compared to stock, but I needed them for my conversion anyways. The Skyjacker extreme drop arm is the longest i found and I needed all the clearance I could get. I'll take a pic of it next to the typical 4" drop arm when I get to my shop in a bit. The size difference is big, so big my pitman arm puller will no longer work because of its size.

Vcmike

Reaction score
Here's a few pics that show the difference. The rusty one is the Skyjacker extreme drop arm and the black one is the generic 4" one sold by most lift companies. How they achieved that measurement.. I have no idea. I haven't replaced my steering box or steering shaft but they're on the list to be changed to a Redhead and Borgeson shaft. I don't have any noticeable steering issues other than a small wandering I believe is caused by a slightly loose steering shaft and the 13.5" wide tires. They look OEM and have 206k miles so an upgrade is in order. Let me know if you need any better pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53

97strokerHD

Reaction score
I'm waiting on the adjustable panhard bar still that I ordered from sky manufacturing. I like the pmf stuff but the one from sky can use regular bushings instead of rod ends.