anyone seen a 7.3 oil cooler physically crack?

ghohouston

Reaction score
just a theoretical question, has anyone even encountered a 7.3 where the oil cooler had actually cracked internally? i was reading up on another forum, and saw a guy claim his oil cooler "cracked" and was causing white smoke. i just dont see how, even if the cooler cracked, it would cause the coolant to burn, thus causing white smoke. it seems to me, it would either put oil into the coolant, which obviously is a sing of failed cooler o rings, or put coolant into the oil

rat49f6

Reaction score
Had it happen on my work truck ...97 obs 7.3. No white smoke but it puked all the oil into the coolant

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

ghohouston

Reaction score
Had it happen on my work truck ...97 obs 7.3. No white smoke but it puked all the oil into the coolant

Guessing you replaced cooler o rings, and it kept pushing oil into the coolant aftet you flushed it?

rat49f6

Reaction score
We replaced the entire cooler but it was in the cenrer section that it was split... riffraffdiesel.com and dieselorings.com both have the center section.

pt_ranger_v8

Reaction score
I've had the front mount crack on my idi (same design) - puking nice green coolant all over the parking lot. Loved the phone call from the wife on that one :shocked: :doh:

Bugman

Reaction score
Any metal can fatigue and crack over time. All it takes is vibrations and a small defect or even a scratch in the surface of it to give it a start.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Any metal can fatigue and crack over time. All it takes is vibrations and a small defect or even a scratch in the surface of it to give it a start.

I understand that, I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered it with a 7.3 oil cooler

Latest posts

Members online