Anyone used a Retro Solutions HID kit?

BigSkyF350

Reaction score
I haven't had mine for a year yet and I'm on my second ballast on the passenger side and now the driver's side bulb isn't lighting. It worked the last time I turned on my headlights a couple months ago.

Just trying to figure out if I should throw in the towel and go a different direction for better nighttime visability.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Had mine for almost 2 years and 100k miles without any issues

Reaction score
ive had sets in all my trucks with no problems, tons of use out of them even offroaded hard with one set with no problems.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I had a cheap set of Ebay lights, had all sorts of problems just as you guys describe, tossed mine in the trash too. Too ricy anyways for my liking.

BigSkyF350

Reaction score
I went with the HID conversion because my aftermarket headlights have quite possibly the worlds worst beam pattern. It's so bad that switching from low beam to high beam doesn't actually give me more light. I was hoping the HIDs would be a acceptable bandaid without having to buy another set of lights.

Anybody had good experiences with headlights? My truck has a Harley-esque look to it so they need to be blacked out.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Factory harley lights? I took my factory lights and popped them apart and painted the inside like the harley lights.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
i am on my second set of Retro HIDs

i run the 55W headlights and foglights, my last set worked with out any issues at all had them for over 2 years. Im right at a year with this set i have now and i had a fog light ballast go out a week or so ago. I sent it to todd after swapping some PMs on here and with under a weeks time i had a new ballast back in my hands and my lights are all working like a champ at the moment. Ive never had an issue with todd, he is a stand up guy and stands behind his products.

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
i am on my second set of Retro HIDs

i run the 55W headlights and foglights, my last set worked with out any issues at all had them for over 2 years. Im right at a year with this set i have now and i had a fog light ballast go out a week or so ago. I sent it to todd after swapping some PMs on here and with under a weeks time i had a new ballast back in my hands and my lights are all working like a champ at the moment. Ive never had an issue with todd, he is a stand up guy and stands behind his products.

Yeah but they make you pay for the product before they send it and then reimburse you, not to mention the dumbass form you have to fill out. Mine worked good for a little over a year then one would dim. This is really annoying when you have to replaces pretty much a whole kit troubleshooting a issue that never ends up being resolved. Was blamed on my truck and tried on another same results... Hell of a lifetime warranty. My kits worked best in the trashcan.

My silverstars work great everytime.

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yeah but they make you pay for the product before they send it and then reimburse you, not to mention the dumbass form you have to fill out. Mine worked good for a little over a year then one would dim. This is really annoying when you have to replaces pretty much a whole kit troubleshooting a issue that never ends up being resolved. Was blamed on my truck and tried on another same results... Hell of a lifetime warranty. My kits worked best in the trashcan.

Isn't that how any warranty works? Do you expect them to trust everyone with sending back the old stuff?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I love my Retro HID's. Have not had any issues whatsoever with my personal setup.

I did however have a guy who went through me and used my discount code to get his Retro HID's have an issue with his setup. We are working on fixing it, and Todd has been right there helping all along. He is an awesome guy to work with.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The paying part didn't bother me so much as the form.

Yeah, but you have to see it from their side too though. Do you know how many people try to replace stuff under warranty when there really is no problem at all with the product?

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score

I filled the form out and it did take me a minute or two.

I paid to ship the part to them and when they called and said this is what was wrong. I was told if I would pay the return shipping I would get my new ballast. I have less than an hour of removal and reinstallation tied up in this plus my time for shipping and it cost me a whole $10.

It's not as bad as you make it out to be. And as far as paying upfront I don't know I was just told to pay the return shipping.

BigSkyF350

Reaction score
Well I'm going to take it apart on Friday, figure out if it's the bulb or ballast and give them a call. Then I'll determine if I continue with the HID or go back to the silver stars, OEM Harley lights and add some PIAA 510s to the bumper

01PSD

Reaction score
My bro had really really bad luck with them. Had the "one side not working" issue, then both ballasts burnt out at the same time on a fishing trip. It was a hassle trying to figure out what the problems were every time. Sent the headlight bulbs and ballasts in back in February I believe and he never got them back. To be honest he doesn't care if he doesn't get them back. Lifetime warranty isn't worth a $hit if they never work right.

BigSkyF350

Reaction score
My bro had really really bad luck with them. Had the "one side not working" issue, then both ballasts burnt out at the same time on a fishing trip. It was a hassle trying to figure out what the problems were every time. Sent the headlight bulbs and ballasts in back in February I believe and he never got them back. To be honest he doesn't care if he doesn't get them back. Lifetime warranty isn't worth a $hit if they never work right.

That is my problem, I pull my sled trailer through the middle of Wyoming in the dark and I have to be able to trust my headlights!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.