Arc welding with gpr

Fly By Night

Reaction score
My gpr went out so I was jumping it with a screwdriver as needed. One morning I couldn't find a screw driver so I thew the only thing I could find in there, a half inch drive ratchet. It fell over shorted and welded itself to the bracket for the plastic engine cover. When this happened I saw sparks come out of the passenger side fender area i believe out of the starter relay. I had to grab something else out of the truck to break the ratchet free. After this my charging system quit working and I don't get power to the gpr. Is there some sort of fuseable link or something that feeds the gpr? As for the charging problem I took my alternator to Oreilly and had it tested, it failed I swapped in a new one and it still won't charge. I'm not sure what to look for voltage wise from the 2 little signal wires to the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
I think there are some fusible links, but I have no idea where they are.

You didn't get video? You are supposed to get video every time you pick up a wrench.

ju015dd

Reaction score
I believe there are two fusible links around the passenger side battery tray. Maybe underneath the tray but I remember seeing them somewhere around this area.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Okay I got it figured out! The hot wire from the alternator to the gpr then runs through a fuseable link just before it runs into the hot side of the starter relay. From the fuseable link to the hot side of the starter relay it runs in 2 wires next to each other, I blew them into a gob of copper. With that circuit open the gpr and alt are isolated form the rest of the electrical. I think maybe having nothing to push into Probably killed my last alternator?

Fly By Night

Reaction score
It would have been cheaper yes but there is the time factor too and when you dont have it you dont have it. Besides its not like I was planning on this happening. I believe I have another harness like this in storage, so a few minutes and some adhesive lined shrink wrap and ill be back in business!

As for the avatar Ive decided I dont pick my avatars on here anymore, thats HRT's job and your right I probably should mess with him so I can get a new avatar.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but why didn't you just hop to a parts store and grab a small spool of fuse link wire, crimp connectors and some shrink tubing?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It would have been cheaper yes but there is the time factor too and when you dont have it you dont have it. Besides its not like I was planning on this happening. I believe I have another harness like this in storage, so a few minutes and some adhesive lined shrink wrap and ill be back in business!

As for the avatar Ive decided I dont pick my avatars on here anymore, thats HRT's job and your right I probably should mess with him so I can get a new avatar.
in which it ended up costing more time did it not?

live life full throttle

Fly By Night

Reaction score
I've never seen fuseable link wire for same at the parts house, ill look for some next time I'm there just to know.

Lincoln what would have cost me more time?

Latest posts

Members online