Are pushrods and springs really needed?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I think pushrods and springs are just safe. Not saying they will bend, just knowing that they won't and knowing my piston isn't gonna kiss the valve. Anybody breaks a shaft at wot runs the risk of damage.

:whs: if it's already apart it's just safe ins IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chromehound

Reaction score
My $0.02 is if you take a motor down far enough to do them then why not do them? Like alot of people said it's cheap insurance and piece of mind. I would feel really dumb if I built up an engine for myself or someone else and didn't do them and then had them fail and start a cascade event that really screwed something up because I was trying to save a buck or thought they weren't needed.

I give you that the pushrods look good but that dosen't mean anything-they could have micro cracks or stress that the upgraded rods wouldn't have.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I'm usually a "if it aint broke don't fix it" guy but for as cheap as they are I will definitely do pushrods when I pull my heads...

87jumpy

Reaction score
What about the guy who bent a pushrod on a 6.4 on here with just a tune

You mean me?

a6b50394-12d3-6a20.jpg

madman1234509

Reaction score
Thanks dude lol...

Nuff said

So you're saying because one guy bent a push rod its enough evidence to get aftermarket ones? Things wear out and break. Doesn't mean everyone is going to have problems or that its necessary. Show me proof rods are commonly breaking due to power. As it stands right now there are only a couple guys like Jared from RCD and the big single truck from MPD, maybe a few others that have pushed the envelope on push rods or springs. Until there are more people pushing the limits there isn't enough evidence. I on the other hand just installed river cities cam and valve springs in my truck and opted not to put push rods in it dye to the results that river city has had with their product so far.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So you're saying because one guy bent a push rod its enough evidence to get aftermarket ones? Things wear out and break. Doesn't mean everyone is going to have problems or that its necessary. Show me proof rods are commonly breaking due to power. As it stands right now there are only a couple guys like Jared from RCD and the big single truck from MPD, maybe a few others that have pushed the envelope on push rods or springs. Until there are more people pushing the limits there isn't enough evidence. I on the other hand just installed river cities cam and valve springs in my truck and opted not to put push rods in it dye to the results that river city has had with their product so far.

bone stock trucks bend push rods. i think its even scarier to do springs w/o push rods.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I agree with the do it cause it is cheap insurance. Just cause one truck is torn down with no damage showing to the eye doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to replace them. The amt of money it is to rebuild one, I would spend the extra coin to lower the percentages of extra damage occurring if something let go.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Im not saying its not a bad idea. But what evidence is there. Stock trucks also crack pistons, break connecting rods, stick injectors open. Does that mean we should replace them all. Why is a rod being bent? Is it a manufacturer defect or something going on internally.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
what evidence is out there that you shouldn't do it? Most of us that have built our trucks have included the upgrade so to say it isn't needed could be incorrect. Who knows how many guys would have f'd up valve trains. Just cause we did it doesn't mean we are dumb asses with too much money. We are looking to protect our investments.

CamTom12

Reaction score
If I had to do my stud/EGR delete over again I would've put pushrods in. Not necessarily valve springs since I'm only running stock turbos, but definitley pushrods.

And if I was running a cam with more aggressive lobes, higher lift and aftermarket springs, you can bet the farm I'd be running beefed up pushrods. That's just asking for trouble on stockers.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If I had to do my stud/EGR delete over again I would've put pushrods in. Not necessarily valve springs since I'm only running stock turbos, but definitley pushrods.

And if I was running a cam with more aggressive lobes, higher lift and aftermarket springs, you can bet the farm I'd be running beefed up pushrods. That's just asking for trouble on stockers.

I would do springs.

When I puller the heads on my truck for the Dpc alot of pistons had marks from valves hitting... course I sprayed and prayed on stock valve train but still

87jumpy

Reaction score
Matt and I talked bout reusing stock parts...

If you upgrade pushrods and springs, what keeps the rocker arms from breaking or bending?

CamTom12

Reaction score
I would do springs.

When I puller the heads on my truck for the Dpc alot of pistons had marks from valves hitting... course I sprayed and prayed on stock valve train but still

Yeah, in your situation I'd do the same. I don't spray or run nearly enough RPM to even think about valve float though. You know, they're relatively cheap and I've got this inability to leave stuff I've touched stock - I might have done springs too if I could do it over LOL

madman1234509

Reaction score
what evidence is out there that you shouldn't do it? Most of us that have built our trucks have included the upgrade so to say it isn't needed could be incorrect. Who knows how many guys would have f'd up valve trains. Just cause we did it doesn't mean we are dumb asses with too much money. We are looking to protect our investments.

You can't ask me that same question back it doesnt prove anything. So a hand full of guys out of the thousands of tuned trucks have bent rods. I don't think thats proof enough that its a must have. What if the pushrods were upgraded and instead of bending when the valve hit the piston, the piston cracks because the weaker rod didnt give. I'm not saying anyone is an ass for putting them in and they probably aren't a bad idea but where are the facts? So far its all opinion based because a few guys got on a forum and had a rod bend. Until there are more big number trucks bending rods there isnt enouhj evidence. Just opinion and a few companies with aftermarket stuff trying to convince people that they need their product. Again I'm not trying to argue with ypu or say anyone is wrong in anyway, and I probably am taking a risk and most likely will put rods in eventually. But id like to see more factual evidence instead of monkey see monkey do

It's not a common thing like almost every 08,truck that had a rad hose leak. Or how common it is to blow gaskets on big tunes. Or crack egr coolers.

skolness

Reaction score
All I know is when I ripped the heads off to do gaskets/studs, i found a bent one. No evidence that it contacted the piston, valve was straight as an arrow. Truck has never been over revved. So, I'm just not going to chance it by putting stockers back in. All I can come up with is it was just a bad rod.

Latest posts

Members online