arp head stud install

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
congrats..you using my instructions? or just winging it?

EvilTwins

Reaction score
These are the instructions that came w/ my set, part # 250-4203, for the 6.4.
They max out to 275lbs. Has anyone turned these higher than that?

PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS
8. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts to the following specifications
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.

Step 1. Tighten studs 1 thru 10 to 90 ft-lbs.
Step 2. Tighten studs 1 thru 10 to 180 ft-lbs.
Step 3. Final tighten studs 1 thru 10 to 275 ft-lbs.
Step 4. Tighten M8 bolts 11 thru 15 to 25 ft-lbs.

I found this VERY interesting in regards to torquing, over torquing and the affect that the lubricant has on the process. Seemed accurate and reasonable to me, what u guys think. Especially when getting into the 200-300 ft/lb area. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXVk_vwKw

oneturboforme

Reaction score
congrats..you using my instructions? or just winging it?

Yes an no, your write up did probably save me a few sockets. my truck is so torn down... my valve covers wernt. on it, so that part of the write up i didnt use but i also managed to get all 10 of them in...

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I found this VERY interesting in regards to torquing, over torquing and the affect that the lubricant has on the process. Seemed accurate and reasonable to me, what u guys think. Especially when getting into the 200-300 ft/lb area. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXVk_vwKw

Interesting. The only red flag that went up in my mind when watching the video is; are they testing the same stud and if so maybe it "settled" out after all the torque cycles?, and that helped the nut to achieve more consistent result with the ARP lube? Dunno? Also does anyone know if the ARP studs are reusable like the A1 technologies (H11)?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Arp studs are not reusable. I called them about this before

Sorry but this is incorrect they are reusable... And that video has me wondering about the h11 vs arp post and if they used the arp assembly lubr... HP tv just cycled it multiple times and got the dame numbers....

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Not to be a dick but where did you find out they were reusable? I'm curious that's all.

I dont think that was a "Dick" statement... But I got it from arp " unless your engine blew the heads off or they were misintalled they are reusable" that's what the arp tech guy told me today... i read your comment and was gonna swap mine to h11s but decided to call arp first

EvilTwins

Reaction score
I will be redoing my heads and gaskets soon and will be definately looking for some of the ARP lube. I am also pleased that I went with the Elite studs. To the OP, I hope that which ever route you take that the end result is positive.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I dont think that was a "Dick" statement... But I got it from arp " unless your engine blew the heads off or they were misintalled they are reusable" that's what the arp tech guy told me today... i read your comment and was gonna swap mine to h11s but decided to call arp first

Sorry but this is incorrect they are reusable... And that video has me wondering about the h11 vs arp post and if they used the arp assembly lubr... HP tv just cycled it multiple times and got the dame numbers....

Not to be a dick but where did you find out they were reusable? I'm curious that's all.

Food for thought; didn't ARP recently make some material change to their studs/nuts? Maybe this is where the confusion lies? Maybe the older variant was not and the new one's are? Either way my vote is for the Elite's (A1's).

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Food for thought; didn't ARP recently make some material change to their studs/nuts? Maybe this is where the confusion lies? Maybe the older variant was not and the new one's are? Either way my vote is for the Elite's (A1's).

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match to see which one is better.. i know elites are stronger im not going to argue that at all...just thought i would say that arps are reusable, that is a good thought... They metal. Change could very well be why you can reuse them tho

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I will be redoing my heads and gaskets soon and will be definately looking for some of the ARP lube. I am also pleased that I went with the Elite studs. To the OP, I hope that which ever route you take that the end result is positive.

Nice Dan! Why not use the lube right? Can't hurt. Sean's machinist trued mine up by 40 thousands. We found that the gaskets never blew but the coating was hazed off and led directly to a coolant passage, I hope thats all it is with yours. Not to derail..

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match to see which one is better.. i know elites are stronger im not going to argue that at all...just thought i would say that arps are reusable, that is a good thought... They metal. Change could very well be why you can reuse them tho

Nor am I :toast:

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Update on the install... Driver side is complete... I thought i heard some hydraulics from the water pump when i inserted two of the studs :confused::confused: not sure what could cause that

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i know my elite h-11's have 5 uses on them.... at 62 lbs of boost today i know they are still working. tadd said they guaranteed 6+ uses ... and im close.

Jayz

Reaction score
Update on the install... Driver side is complete... I thought i heard some hydraulics from the water pump when i inserted two of the studs :confused::confused: not sure what could cause that

Did u pull the heads and swap gaskets or just 1 @ a time? How long did it take u? N e tips I'm bout to do it n pull the trigger my self but rnr the gaskets? N e 1 know of a write up with cab ON?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Did u pull the heads and swap gaskets or just 1 @ a time? How long did it take u? N e tips I'm bout to do it n pull the trigger my self but rnr the gaskets? N e 1 know of a write up with cab ON?

Earlier in this thread is a link to the cab on write up... There's good info in there get a 2' piece of pipe for a cheater bar and a 16mm impact wrench... Take your time.. watch out for the ac lines and yes i did mine one at a time... Goodluck if any more questions ask away they guys on here know there ****..... Oh and plan on your truck to be down for atleast a weekend just in case....

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Oh and it probably took me 3 hours... But like i said earlier my truck was already torn down.. which is the most time consuming.. and if theres a plastic tube in the way move it.... It will break trust me lol

Latest posts

Members online