ARP studs reuse...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Asked a few people via PM's and got no info...

I have been told several times that you can reuse ARP's... These have been in two motors now, no headgasket issues, and I would like to use them again...

Stretch is the issue so I have been told, but I have no idea what the length should be...

Anyone got any info???

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Some say they reuse em...some say don't.

I decided against it with my arps....wasnt worth the hassle of having to pull the cab again if there was issues.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Curtis' truck has been torqued 3 times in 2 separate motors. As long as they were torqued to spec, you are perfectly fine re-using them.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Again, and I am just asking...

Why? Your not TQing them to yield... If there not stretched I cant see the issue?

Most people over torque them though, plus heat cycles. I just wouldn't if it were me given the headache of having to redo it. I guess if you still have threads below where the pass through in the head is then you may be okay given the thickness of the washer being accounted for as well. How many times have you torqued them ?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Just a question, do you know if your torque wrench is calibrated? I've seen brand new high end ones off 50+lbs. And I know you will know, that will play a huge roll as t whether can can be reused, or if they have been over torqued

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Most people over torque them though, plus heat cycles. I just wouldn't if it were me given the headache of having to redo it. I guess if you still have threads below where the pass through in the head is then you may be okay given the thickness of the washer being accounted for as well. How many times have you torqued them ?

Once in each motor...

Just a question, do you know if your torque wrench is calibrated? I've seen brand new high end ones off 50+lbs. And I know you will know, that will play a huge roll as t whether can can be reused, or if they have been over torqued

My TQ wrench is the cheap seats one from Home Depot...

Dave

Reaction score
ARP says reusable up to 5 times as long as they were properly installed each previous time

CSIPSD

Reaction score
ARP says reusable up to 5 times as long as they were properly installed each previous time

Thanks Dave.

I just emailed them to see if I can get any specifics... Would be nice to just measure and go, of course I wish I could get another set, but trying to do this as inexpensive as possible.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Once in each motor...

My TQ wrench is the cheap seats one from Home Depot...

Mine is a $100 special too. Ive checked it against my buddies expensive one and its usually right on. Id maybe borrow a better one or calibrate that one if there is any way to.do so.

02BigD

Reaction score
Did the heads come off the new motor, or are you changing them 1 by 1 from the stock bolts? I wouldn't be concerned if they are being used on seasoned gaskets. Probably spend the money on new studs if the gaskets are fresh.

Latest posts

Members online