arp studs

swizzles6.0

Reaction score
So I need to do gaskets again even with my studs...I'm making around 40lbs of boost and I don't feel the need to fire ring it but my mechanic wants too...technically the studs should be more than enough to hold the heads down...I need your guys opinions and past experiences

JGman141

Reaction score
O ring the heads and throw on some arp 625s, shouldn't have any more issues as long as the job it done right.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Hard to say without knowing what went wrong last time or how the job was done. There are TONS of variables that go into one of these jobs. Are the heads flat? Is the block flat? What were the studs torqued to? 40lbs of boost doesn't tell us much because we don't even know what injectors or what charger you're using. 40lbs of boost on a stock charger vs. 40lbs of boost on an S475 is too way different air flows. Boost means nothing. It's just a measurement of restriction.

MPD does o-ring heads with good luck. There's no way I'd do fire rings on a daily driver, hear about way too many drivability issues. Seems like more of a competition only thing.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would talk to MPD about their o-ring heads honestly. If you don't go o-rings I'd just make sure those heads are dead flat and the block is flat as well. Most people never pay attention to the block at all. You can also try a better stud, like the extreme H13's. Only a little more than the standard ARP's and have a higher tensile strength so they will resist stretching better under extreme conditions.

swizzles6.0

Reaction score
My mechanic has the tool to do the heads what o ring kits are available? I've only been able to find ats fire ring kit

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
there are no "o-ring kits" that im aware of. you have to buy a spool of wire and cut them to fit

^^^^This^^^^^ do yourself a favor and call MPD. Buy a set of heads pre oringed and know you've got a great product that will last.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Strokin89

Reaction score
^^^^This^^^^^ do yourself a favor and call MPD. Buy a set of heads pre oringed and know you've got a great product that will last.

^^^^ what he said.

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

swinky

Reaction score
I would talk to MPD about their o-ring heads honestly. If you don't go o-rings I'd just make sure those heads are dead flat and the block is flat as well. Most people never pay attention to the block at all. You can also try a better stud, like the extreme H13's. Only a little more than the standard ARP's and have a higher tensile strength so they will resist stretching better under extreme conditions.
I personally wouldn't recommend those studs until they're more proven on a 6.0

swinky

Reaction score
Fwiw I'm in the same boat and doing O-ringed heads and using my arp 425s again. Check the block and take it easy on the truck for a little while after it's done.

With that being said the 625 will hold more than the 425. Multiple guys on here that are making big power had to make the switch to 625s because they just couldn't get 425s to hold. If you have the cash do 625s

Two things to think about.
The 6.7 Cummins guys hold wayy more power with 625s vs 425s and the 6.4 guys don't blow gaskets with 425s (the 6.4 has thicker/stronger studs) so the 625 is a much better stud and the price shows arp agrees.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Go all out... O-ring from MPD and ARP 625s. The little extra you spend on the 625s is cheaper than doing it all over again. Buy once , cry once.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I wanna throw this out there too. Tuning has come a LONG WAY in the past couple years. I don't think the guys tuning our trucks get the pat on the back they deserve. Let's face it, when the 6.0 first hit the streets , the general concensus was that if you tuned it, you would break it. It was also widely accepted that it took 190cc injectors to break 500 RWHP. The tuners have figured out how to consistently make more and safer power. Hell, just in the past year, tuning has advanced dramatically.

I know a guy that consistently makes 440+ to the rear wheels, never pushes coolant and is still on TTY bolts. Tuning is done by TSD.

I'm not saying the 625's aren't needed, because in 750+RWHP trucks that race every weekend, I'm sure they are. I also believe that good, truly flat heads that have been o-ringed, paired with ARP 425's or a set of Extreme studs will hold for 90% of the trucks out there.

I have nothing at all against the 625's, I just think they're overkill if a stud job with oring heads is done correctly.

Another thing is to check the block. This gets overlooked a lot (not by the pros, but by the guys doing studs at home). If the block isn't flat, it won't matter one bit what kind of stud you use.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
MPD does o-ring heads with good luck. There's no way I'd do fire rings on a daily driver, hear about way too many drivability issues. Seems like more of a competition only thing.

Can you explain the drivability issue? I can't see how O rings would cause any issue

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
O - rings and fire rings are two different things. O-ring is a single ring, fire ring is a series of rings.

swinky

Reaction score
Fire ring is a ring and a groove that the ring goes into. Mpd will not warranty any head gasket job without O rings according to greg.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
ive sold about 40 sets with no blown gaskets, what more do you want ?

I agree. There have been a lot sold recently with no issues. I just sold a set to a guy who's doing a (hopefully) 700RWHP+ build. We're having his heads oringed as well as ported and polished.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.