mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Back on topic:

Here is what Diesel Auto Power sent me-

ExtremeStuds2_zpsc9f2e5da.jpg

Last edited:

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok i'm about to place my order. KCturbo did you get yours installed yet? They told me molly lube works when installing but i would venture to guess since ultra torque lube is better then molly i could use that since i already ordered 10oz.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Im debating on these or H11s... Any reason to go with these versus H11s from A1 Technologies?

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
IVe got a lead on them. The guy has about 200 left in stock. So thats not a problem. And they are 650 shipped...

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I seen the comment from a guy earlier in the thread, he was talking about the threads not looking clean on these Extreme-studs. And he is right about that causing inconsistent torquing. Can someone provide better shots of the threads?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I don't really know what I'm looking for but they look clean to me.

2ary6ypu.jpg
apyqase9.jpg
du7upevu.jpg
4u4y7amy.jpg
avu3aqev.jpg
gate7ury.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Ok i'm about to place my order. KCturbo did you get yours installed yet? They told me molly lube works when installing but i would venture to guess since ultra torque lube is better then molly i could use that since i already ordered 10oz.

I must have missed this question... sorry ... I am not an expert on this matter. But from my research i would use the lube that they recommend and the torque values that they recommend.

If you were to use a different lube... then theoretically that would change the torque value required to reach the optimum preload through torquing. When ARP switch from their old stuff to the new ultra lube they had us change the torque value significantly to acquire the same preload... (Off the top of my head I wanna say it was from 265 to 215). So if you change the lube used to install the h13 then theoretically you would need to also adjust the torque rating.

Then again I am not expert and I am sure someone else will chime in and give you a better answer. Maybe ask the person you bought them through.

Rob D

Reaction score
For the thousands of trucks running ARPs, guys aren't going to jump on forums and post about how their studs are running fine - majority of threads are about when things go wrong. These forums can therefore dramatize issues like this. Additionally - details about every failure are not always given - for example, type of gasket used, if the heads were machined, if emissions equipment is still on the truck, installation errors with lube or torque sequencing etc. Any one of these, along with several other things, could be the cause of a gasket failure and not the stud.

For the average guy, staying at home around 450-500HP, you should not have any issues with an ARP stud. If planning on being in that very small % of truck owners who go with bigger air and fuel then spend the extra cash for added assurance. Again, this is a competition forum so it dramatizes the amount of trucks which have these type of upgrades as compared to the amount of diesel owners actually out there riding stock or moderately modded.

The main attraction of the extreme studs to me for the average guy which would make the higher price point worth it, even if not planning on doing a crazy build, would be less stress on the block thanks to lower torque needed while still achieving greater clamping. This is a very simple principal that to me makes a whole lot of sense.

Anyway just figured I would try to bring some insight to newer members who might view these threads on studs and gasket failures, or guys who already have ARPs and don't want to wonder if they made a bad choice.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Can any of the guys here making decent power chime in on what they use?

I know a decent amount of people still running ARPs with luck, there are also plenty of people that have constant issues with puking by seasons end.

The ARP stud is definitely perfect for the 450hp club, but I don't think that is necessarily what this conversation is about.

Rob D

Reaction score
I hear you Derek - and 600+ club is def. a different ballgame...bottom line is considering the amount of money it costs in labor; unless you are fortunate enough to have the location and tools to do a stud job yourself - it is almost idiotic to not spend a couple extra bucks on a better product to potentially save thousands down the road while at the same time giving yourself better odds if you do want to add on power of staying together. But if you already have ARPs in your truck and are staying around 500HP that does not mean you have an issue. When my stockers go - I will be going to Mike.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I hear you Derek - and 600+ club is def. a different ballgame...bottom line is considering the amount of money it costs in labor; unless you are fortunate enough to have the location and tools to do a stud job yourself - it is almost idiotic to not spend a couple extra bucks on a better product to potentially save thousands down the road while at the same time giving yourself better odds if you do want to add on power of staying together. But if you already have ARPs in your truck and are staying around 500HP that does not mean you have an issue. When my stockers go - I will be going to Mike.

:thumbup:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
^^^^ I agree...

I would not swap out my ARPs one by one for h13s. You would potentially cause more issues than you solve. But if it proves to be a better product it seems well worth the extra money if you are moving forward on doing gaskets and studs.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Can any of the guys here making decent power chime in on what they use?

I know a decent amount of people still running ARPs with luck, there are also plenty of people that have constant issues with puking by seasons end.

The ARP stud is definitely perfect for the 450hp club, but I don't think that is necessarily what this conversation is about.

I guess I would consider my truck to make "decent" power. It has been around the 600hp mark since the last time my heads were off just over a year ago. Since then it is making a little more power. Should be right around 700 on fuel now, and has done 710 with a little bit of spray. My truck has the original heads that have been checked and o-ringed and ARP's that have been re used for the third time now, torqued to 225 ft/lbs. The truck has been down the track a few times, MANY wide open pulls on the street, and probably around 30+ dyno pulls with this setup. Never puked a drop of coolant. Maybe I will try the extreme studs when I have an issue, but until then, the arp's are just fine. The benefits of the extreme studs seem legit, but for me, there is no reason to change what works.

Members online

No members online now.