Auto hubs vacuum lines

Mdub707

Reaction score
Anyone know what size lines I need to get for the vacuum lines for the auto hubs? Sick of the a/c pumping out through the defroster. Dint have the truck in front of me either... Thanks

Mdub707

Reaction score
mine does the same thing

i think most of us 6.0 owners have this issue mine only does it in 4x4

Yeah guys it's quite common. The hubs are auto locking hubs, which are operated by vacuum. Most of the time the vacuum lines from the hub leak, so just replacing them fixes the issue. You know for sure you have a leak when it blows through the defroster when you switch it to 4x4. Mine is doing it all the time now, I may even have a leak somewhere else.

This vid will help you out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoI-BbisYEs

I just went to the parts store and took the old hose with me and matched up

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do, I just didn't have the truck with me when I asked last week, and was going to try and order some online so I could have them here when I got back. Guess I'll just go to the Ford dealer on the way home and grab some. See if I can post the P/N back here too I guess.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Call me a sucker, just called the local Ford dealer to order the lines, apparently it comes as one big thing from the pump down to the hubs, $69. Ouch. Whatever, they'll have it in tomorrow and hopefully I'll have A/C blowing out the vents again and can actually switch to 4x4 from in the cab without having to have the hubs locked all the time...

I'll get the P/N for whoever wants it though and post it here.

Snake

Reaction score
Mike, please do. Curious to see if this solves your problem. I know the hub seals are also prone to leaking and will cause the same symptoms.

Clay

Reaction score
Mine quit last year, turned out to be the valve on the passenger side firewall next to the vacuum canister. There is a rubber diaphragm in the lower part of it and that was torn.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Hey Clay, yeah I swapped my buddies on from his truck which worked fine, and mine still didn't work. Pump works, that little valve works etc... gotta be the lines.

What kills me is I brought the truck in like 3 or 4 years ago under warranty telling them the auto 4x4 didn't work. At the time, both hubs were so fubar'd I had to turn them with a huge set of pliers. Ford actually replaced BOTH hubs under warranty. They said one side had a bad wheel bearing and the seal was shot, they did the hubs, the seal, and the wheel bearing under warranty. I picked the truck up and pulling out of the parking lot, it was still not working. Doing the exact same thing I brought it in for. I was so fed up with them I never went back. If I had a nickel for every time my truck went in under warranty and came out with the exact same problem... what kills me is a 5 minute road test would have verified the repair. In this case all they had to do was drive around their snow covered parking lot. Jerks.

Anyways, I digress.... new parts will be in tomorrow, hopefully all back to normal. I'll keep you posted.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I cant remember who it sell it, but they have a stainless line kit to get rid of this problem entirely.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I cant remember who it sell it, but they have a stainless line kit to get rid of this problem entirely.

Bulletproof diesel does.

Turns out it wasn't even the lines going to the hubs, found one of the plastic joint connections was snapped under the hood. Pulled the broken piece out and reinserted the line. Then had to unplug the pump electrical connector and replug it so it would kick on. The vacuum reservoir was obviously empty. Need to let it run some more. Anyways, here's the ford part number as promised...

20120701_193109.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes that little pump to fill that vacuum chamber? (or rather, empty it?) It was clearly completely open to atmosphere and had no vacuum. I can hear the pump running now and it's putting some vacuum on the chamber, but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. May still have a small leak somewhere...

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's what I'm starting to think, or the solenoid is garbage. I might try the solenoid first. I can't get the HVAC to switch off of defroster, no matter what setting I'm in, and even when it's in 2x4.

Latest posts

Members online