Auto to zf6 swap.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
I recently blew my 3rd auto in as many years. So I went and bought a "6speed swap". I want to run my transfer case so...

1. Can I swap the input drum on my case to fit the zf6 tail shaft?

2. How large of a cooler should I run? ( I am not running the factory one, it has stuff all through it)

3. The harness I got with the swap is for a manual shift case. I am swapping cluster's and PCM's so I should probably find a harness for a 6speed with electric case. Correct?

4. I did search the forum thoroughly before posting this. I've really several swap threads but, i am still unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02BigD

Reaction score
1. You want to change the output of the transmission for your needs.

2. You really don't need much of a cooler for a 6pd unless you're towing all of the time.

3. If you have an electric transfer case, you need that style transmission harness.

4. I'm not one to bust on people who do what they want to their truck....but having gone the other way, fug a zf-6 they are junk. If you've gone through that many autos, you need a better builder. Since the swap, my auto has lasted 60k at over 500 and another 3k at over 600. Convertor recently told me to f off, but no issues with a full billet 4r.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
I did not want to tear into the transmission. That was my reasoning for swapping the transfer case drum. I just rebuilt my transfer case about 1000miles ago so, i know what im doing in there. This may be a dumb question and I'm pretty sure i already know the answer. Will the trans out-put from my 4r work?

co04cobra

Reaction score
You need to swap the t-case input. Leave the trans alone. Cooler doesn't need to be much, as the factory one is just the small one in the bottom of rad.

I assume it's an 02 truck since you are swapping clusters? The answer to that ? will help with the esof ?

You will be happy with the swap and won't have to pull a 4r every time you change fuel filters.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
No, the truck is a 2000. I was swapping cluster's to get rid of the gear indicator on mine.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The gear indicator just unclips from the bottom of the cluster. Then yes all you need is a harness from a zf-6 and esof. 99-01 anyway.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
esof? I have read the trans tunnel needs raised up due to the zf6 being taller. My truck has a 2inch body lift. Will this be enough to cover the zf6?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Electronic shift on fly?

Yes on esof. 2in body lift will be close. You can make the auto tunnel work either way, but it's hard to make a real clean job out of it.

The auto carpet won't fit perfect either. Rear driveshaft will need to be shortened.

co04cobra

Reaction score
That is the easiest place. Grind the weld down on the cap, measure to what you need, cut, press u-joint cap back in and reweld.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
I thought id have to do this. I've read some places that it would need done and other that it wouldn't. Ill probably take it to work and cut/weld it on the lathe.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Another quick question. Was there a clutch cancel switch in the factory 6 speed trucks?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Another quick question. Was there a clutch cancel switch in the factory 6 speed trucks?

Clutch cancel? You've been around toyotas to long...haha. No, just the sensor under the dash on the clutch rod, to only crank when the clutch is down.

It is easily bypassed though.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
That I have. I'm impressed that you knew that was from a toyota. I was reading your post about the esof not engaging 4low. When the swap was done. Did you ever figure that out? I want that to be functional, but I'm having a hard time finding a zf6/esof harness anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
I work on a little bit of everything, or have over the years, I try to only do Fords if possible. I have just found I can try and be the best at what I do, if I stick with what I do the most.

I need to check for a harness for you. Meant to today, but got busy.

On the 02 I didn't get low range working. I didn't spend much time as the customer was fine with the manual t-case.

The 02s are a real PITA wiring wise, compared to yours, when doing the swap.

The right harness, and clutch safety switch, should make yours work correctly. I'll PM you on the harness tomorrow evening.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Sweet deal man. You wouldn't happen to have a input shaft laying around too would you?
ge4yvaqa.jpg

That's what I have. I just found out the line has a split in it anyways. I'm not seeing the sensor.

Sent from my shop, hiding from my ole' lady.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Input for the zf tcase? You may have to buy the sensor, but the plug for it is in the truck. It's tucked up under the dash pretty good. You'll have to do some digging to get it out.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Yes, so i can use my 4r case. Ill add sensor to my growing list, lol. I may have to dig more than normal. I rewired my dash harness last summer when my light switch shorted out. it melted a bunch of stuff in there. I couldnt find a harness at the time so, i pulled mine out, stripped it, and rewired everything that was melted.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
so, through my extensive google searching tonight. I found a few different people talking about this swap. The ones who have done it on a cclb say no drive shaft modification was needed. I cant for the life of me fint the 2 write ups i read on here the last time i was thinking about doing this swap. All i remember was the truck was white. I'm thinking it was a rcsb. IIRC he was having problems with his cruise control working.

Latest posts

Members online