average egt's while towing with hybrids

pullandpray

Reaction score
Like on flats? I see 700-900 on flats usually kiss 1300 once in awhile on grades I'm usually at 25k+

pullandpray

Reaction score
As soon as it hits 1300 I downshift To get some more r's and cool it down. As I'm sure you know the time between 1200-1300 usually isn't much. I try to keep under 1200 But I don't freak out if I look up and see 1300. Hell I had a Pyro when the truck was stock and I could hit 13 Think of all the engines that run hotter than that up hill medium duty trucks buses etc. personally I don't think kissing 1300 is an issue would I run it all day no. Do I think a 7.3 could handle long stints of 1300+ absolutely

psduser1

Reaction score
I've run 1000-1100 for hours, like 6 to 10 hrs, before.
If your nervous about egts, have a tune that downshift sooner, let the rpms help!

Reaction score
We have a 7.3 shop truck with 238/80's and a 38R with 1.15 housing and I towed 15k last week and EGT's were 800-900 on the flats and 3rd gear pulling grades at 1,100- 1,300 depending on how hard I was pushing it.

Swaan

Reaction score
Like others have said.
Stock you can push them to 1300.
My truck stock working hard pulling a hill it would sit at 1200-1250 all the time. That's not excessive.
I would start backing out of it at 1300 thou. Perfectly safe.

Jason

Reaction score
You have been battling this "egt issue" for almost 2 years now. Why have you not fixed this?? It's not hard to do...if chasing boost/exhaust leaks led to nothing, and you have exhausted every option...contact Matt, and have him try re-writing you new tunes that pull more fuel out. Or maybe you need to deal with the fact that your egt will be a little higher when towing modified, and you will have to learn to actually drive the truck. You can't just push on the pedal, and go..and if it starts getting a little warm, think to your self "self, hrmm, well gee golly, my egt is higher than when the truck was stock, or it's close to what I read on the diesel stop, would melt my engine down into a smoldering pile of rubble...this piece of shti must be broke". You stated before you couldn't pull a boat at 65 in od, without high egt's. 35's and 3.73's knock the gearing down too low at that speed to maintain OD, and have enough rpm to keep it cool. Get up over 70, and kick put it in overdrive.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score

Nice. I think your forgetting something. Pistons are cooled by oil. Lots of it under the dish.
Do you really think the engineers at international would put out a engine that was boarder line ready to go into Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.
These things are perfectly safe to tow all day long at 1200-1250.
They do it rock stock of the showroom floor.

JD3020

Reaction score
I run around at all sorts of weight, generally 18-22k GVW. 250/200%'s, non-intercooled, stock OBS turbo, one up-pipe isn't even bolted to the turbine collector, 4.10 gears. Tune it myself.

Taking off from a stop it'll usually peak around 12-1300, cruises around 1k. Hills it'll run 14-1600 depending on how hard i wanna push it. Last summer i was racing my brother up a decent sized hill on the highway. Started the bottom at 60, was doing 70 at the top. Had a 25ft GN and a Cat 304 mini in tow. Pegged the pyro, 40psi, and never looked back. LOL

Swaan

Reaction score
I run around at all sorts of weight, generally 18-22k GVW. 250/200%'s, non-intercooled, stock OBS turbo, one up-pipe isn't even bolted to the turbine collector, 4.10 gears. Tune it myself.

Taking off from a stop it'll usually peak around 12-1300, cruises around 1k. Hills it'll run 14-1600 depending on how hard i wanna push it. Last summer i was racing my brother up a decent sized hill on the highway. Started the bottom at 60, was doing 70 at the top. Had a 25ft GN and a Cat 304 mini in tow. Pegged the pyro, 40psi, and never looked back. LOL

This is prime example just how tuff these engines actually are. Lmao!!

I would not recommend this type of punishment but it's a testament as to how it's not that hot when there pyro touchs 1200 degrees. :thumbup:

pullandpray

Reaction score
I think it's funny go on the cummins forums they will say 1500 is red zone. You can run 1350 all day long But you talk powerstrokes and alot of people will say 1200-1250 max...

farm boy

Reaction score
You have been battling this "egt issue" for almost 2 years now. Why have you not fixed this?? It's not hard to do...if chasing boost/exhaust leaks led to nothing, and you have exhausted every option...contact Matt, and have him try re-writing you new tunes that pull more fuel out. Or maybe you need to deal with the fact that your egt will be a little higher when towing modified, and you will have to learn to actually drive the truck. You can't just push on the pedal, and go..and if it starts getting a little warm, think to your self "self, hrmm, well gee golly, my egt is higher than when the truck was stock, or it's close to what I read on the diesel stop, would melt my engine down into a smoldering pile of rubble...this piece of shti must be broke". You stated before you couldn't pull a boat at 65 in od, without high egt's. 35's and 3.73's knock the gearing down too low at that speed to maintain OD, and have enough rpm to keep it cool. Get up over 70, and kick put it in overdrive.

I agree...

I put 4.30 gears in mine and it tows like a dream compared to the 3.73's.
Mine runs 2k rpm's @ 65mph. Plenty of boost when cruising with a loaded trailer, and the egt's rarely ever get out of hand. I tow 20k+ running 70mph often...

Lots of people say 35's and 3.73's are a perfect match. I disagree if your actually gonna pull anything heavy.

The Brad

Reaction score
I agree...

I put 4.30 gears in mine and it tows like a dream compared to the 3.73's.
Mine runs 2k rpm's @ 65mph. Plenty of boost when cruising with a loaded trailer, and the egt's rarely ever get out of hand. I tow 20k+ running 70mph often...

Lots of people say 35's and 3.73's are a perfect match. I disagree if your actually gonna pull anything heavy.

At 65mph, I'm at 2350rpm with 35's and 3.73's in drive. I still have another gear for running 80mph when unloaded without listening to 2500+ rpm the whole way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.