axle width?

Reaction score
With the flares on my truck now I can't stand the way the rear is narrower than the front (d-60) I'm not really sold on the idea of spacers--i use the truck for work and frequently have 2-3000#'s in the bed, plus towing heavy. i want to get rid of the 3.55's for 4.10's and with the width issue i am thinking it would be better to swap axles. What can I use to match the width of a 92 d-60 and still keep the 8 on 6.5 pattern

Thanks

Racer X

Reaction score
Rear Axles Available

If those flares are wide enough... We have several 4:10 dually axles 1995-99. :)

We have a few SRW 4:10 axles 1995-97 as well. All of em have locking differentials and are complete drum to drum.

Some of the dually axles have leaf and air spring systems (loader levelers), will sell those complete with an axle or separately. Good 7.3L engines available too.

Contact us direct or pm 4 Wings if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

Jakey

Reaction score
I researched this for my truck.

Widths are from opposing Wheel mount surfaces.

Dana 60 front is about 68-1/2" Wide

SRW is 64.5" Wide
Cab and Chassis DRW are 66.5 Wide, different spring centers due to narrower frame.
A pickup with DRW is around 72-73" Wide(best I could tell)

Either of the DRW axles has 12-1/8" x 3-1/2 Brakes versus SRW Full Float with 12" x 3 Brakes

There's a guy on PSN who's working on a swap to use a 99-04 SRW axle swapped over to 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern with some machining.
Width of those is about 68" +-

Clouse2411

Reaction score
I bought 2in spacers off of ebay for 100 bucks for the pair. Had them on my truck for 4 months then got superduty adapters from the same place. Zero problems. Towed with my truck, sled pulled, and dynoed them. Zach (yoderstroker) has them on his truck now.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
dodge D80 rear i hear is close to the D60 front but requires the speing pearches to be cut and re-welded

chevy amm 1150?? (chevy 14 bolt) i hear is aslo a close match but againthe spring pearches will have to be cut and re-welded..

and you will get disk brakes in the rear form either of these swap

i tried to google widths but i couldnt come up with anything

Racer X

Reaction score
I researched this for my truck.

Widths are from opposing Wheel mount surfaces.

Cab and Chassis DRW are 66.5 Wide, different spring centers due to narrower frame.

Either of the DRW axles has 12-1/8" x 3-1/2 Brakes versus SRW Full Float with 12" x 3 Brakes

There's a guy on PSN who's working on a swap to use a 99-04 SRW axle swapped over to 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern with some machining.
Width of those is about 68" +-

What model year Cab and Chassis did you measure that were 66.5 wide, had narrower frames and different spring centers? What measurements did you use to determine spring centers?

All the DRW Cab and Chassis we had have wider frames than F-150, F-250, and F-350 trucks with pickup beds. They have 41 3/4" wide frames vs. 37" wide for F-150 thru F-350 with pickup beds. The spring centers matched F-150, F-250 and F-350 pickups 1992 -97 exactly. See the photos below.

F-150 thru F-350 trucks with pickup beds: Frame width 37"
framewidth1.jpg

Cab and Chassis we have: Frame width 41 3/4". Spring centers match F-150, F-250 and F-350's with pick up beds exactly.
framewidth2.jpg

4 Wings

Reaction score
rollingthunder: If you use wheel spacers, towing heavy loads will move the load point further out on your wheel studs and make your truck have a different cornering radius. You'll need more room to turn into a parking spot with spacers. That's 1 reason why rear axles have narrower overall widths than front axles do on SRW trucks.

I checked the door tags on all the cab and chassis trucks we have. Ford called them in-complete vehicles rather than cab and chassis on the tags. There are 2 OBS trucks, a 97 and a 95. The others are 99's. All have the wider 41 3/4" frames. Ford introduced the light duty F-250 in 98. Ford renamed the F-250 with 7.3L diesel and all F-350's with the Super Duty name beginning in 99, though they are still in the light duty truck class. The 97 down Super Duty's were all F-450 and F-550 medium duty trucks.

At any rate, the air spring system over leaf springs can be seen in the photo. The tires are further away from the leaf spring in the SRW 37" frame photo due to the different back spacing dually rims use vs. rims used for single rear wheel axle trucks. The dually rim and tire run closer to the spring, but the spring center is the same as a SRW F-150 thru F-350 92-97 truck axle has.

I hope Jakey will reply with model year info. I have seen cab and chassis trucks owner manuals, unfortunately the ones we have didn't come with any. Wondering if in-complete vehicles got different frames than a Cab and chassis model or if there was a change in frames during production? :confused: :popcorn:

Last edited:

Jakey

Reaction score
A true Cab and Chassis F350 has a 34" wide straight frame and 2.5" wide springs with the narrower axle.
80-97
There is also trucks which have either had a pickup box delete option or pickup box removed, these obviously have the 37" wide frame.

That second picture is an Econoline/E-series Cab and Chassis, the Dana rear axle; stem type shocks; frame kick-up at axle and the oddball fuel tank say "E-Series"
Very different frame than an F-series.

Racer X

Reaction score
A true Cab and Chassis F350 has a 34" wide straight frame and 2.5" wide springs with the narrower axle.
80-97
There is also trucks which have either had a pickup box delete option or pickup box removed, these obviously have the 37" wide frame.

That second picture is an Econoline/E-series Cab and Chassis, the Dana rear axle; stem type shocks; frame kick-up at axle and the oddball fuel tank say "E-Series"
Very different frame than an F-series.

Jacky, Thanks for the reply.
The photo is of an F-350 cab and chassis frame with optional suspension package. Rear springs are rated for 11,000 lbs on 8 lug wheels. The fuel tank is no oddball, it's an optional single fuel tank. We took actual measurements of spring centers, they match F-150, F-250 and F-350 pick ups with single and dual rear wheel axles exactly.

Ford also built stripped chassis models. They have straight frames with 2 removable cross members.

The brochure below lists the 1995 Ford Cab and Chassis specifications. Ford lists the rear axle frame dimensions as length in inches rather than as width, and makes reference to pick up bed removal.... Clear as muddy water? LOL :)

What is consistent is: Rear Axle Frame Dimensions change with wheel base on all Cab and Chassis models F and F Super Duty. Notice the smallest rear axle frame dimension Ford lists for all 1995 F-Series Cab and Chassis models is 38.5". You may have specs from a stripped chassis model....
:confused:
Also, there are 4 wheel power disc brakes and 10 lug wheels on the F Super Duty Cab and Chassis 4 X 2 with DRW axle. It's the only cab and chassis model listed that had 10 lug wheels in 1995.
:toast:

Cab%20Chassis%201.jpg

Cab%20Chassis%202.jpg

Jakey

Reaction score
It's still an E350 or E450 chassis in your second picture. It's absolutely not an F-series of any kind.
Like I said before, totally different frame.

The fuel tank is "oddball" reference is because I know what tanks F or E series have, and it looks like an E-series Chassis-Cab tank.

Racer X

Reaction score
More of the 1995 Ford literature mentions the Pickup box delete option when The Supercab and Crew Cab became an option on Cab and Chassis models. That seems to have redefined what Ford Cab and Chassis truck frames can be.

Our optioned F series Cab Chassis frame falls under *See your Ford dealer for complete details. The Ford literature below has this noted in paragraph 2 under F-350 Chassis-Cab. “The F-350 Cab Chassis is now available also in SuperCab and Crew Cab styles with The Pickup Box Delete option specified *See your Ford dealer for complete details.” The same note is in the Incomplete Vehicle section, and Stripped Chassis section.

Since it says “is now available” for the new cab choices, the Pickup box delete option had to be specified, and the different frame specs by wheelbase are listed by model in the same Ford literature previously posted, I think it’s clear why not all 1980-1997 Cab and Chassis frames are the same.

I measured the opening at the bottom edge of the frame rails at the rear axle on our frame. The bottom opening between frame rails matched the 95 Ford F-350 Cab-Chassis Rear Axle Frame specification of 38.5” for the 137” wheelbase.

Enjoyed the discussion! :thumbup:

Cab%20Chassis%203.jpg

Latest posts

Members online