Back up sensors

chromehound

Reaction score
Has anybody ever wired lights into the sensor wiring? I don't think it'd be hard but just don't want to hack up the wires only to find out it won't work. It'd be nice to have some decent floods triggered in reverse and having the switch in place to cancel them is a bonus.

12stroker

Reaction score
Why don't you just tap into the reverse wire on the 7 way plug? Or run a wire from a up lifter switch. Because on what your wanting to do it will not work.

chromehound

Reaction score
I just figured that the wires were already there and hooked to a switch so it was less work than anything else. I already have plans for the up fitters and didn't want to re-wire down the road. Why exactly can't you use the sensors wires? I know diddly about them.

12stroker

Reaction score
Well if the sensors have resistors or somthing in them to make them talk to the truck. I think they need so much current to them for them to work. And if one wire is cut or the sensor is missing it will beep like crazy all the time.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Don't splice that harness. Tap into the wire in the bumper for the 7way trailer plug like mentioned earlier. Super easy and you'll only need about 2' of wire to do it

chromehound

Reaction score
Yeah I've wired them up that way before - like I said I was just trying to save a little time/effort on this as the cut out switch is already there. I'm not keeping the bumper either as I ***ing hate those sensors so I could care less if they get messed up just so long as they don't beep all the time.

12stroker

Reaction score
Yeah well either way I believe they do not have enough power in those wires to power up any lights. I believe those are more communication wires not power. Wire size is very small.

chromehound

Reaction score
Ok. I've never looked at them to be honest. Guess if they won't work they'll just get tied up when I swap bumpers and I'll tap into the plug and install a cutoff switch. Is there a way to permently disable the sensors so they don't go nuts being tied up?

chromehound

Reaction score
Isn't there a disable button in the cab?

Yeah there is - that was part of why I was wanting to hook into them, so I could kill the lights when I didn't need them but not have to turn them on every time. I can wire them in seperatly to act the same way but since everything was there I was just hopeing.

I'm also not sure if there is a way to get the sensors to stay shutoff using just the button.

Latest posts

Members online