Bad front axle hop, ideas?

sledhead455

Reaction score
Like the title says front axle hops terribly when spinning. Haven't had it in the mud but hops so bad in the snow I have to baby it. Any ideas?

sootie

Reaction score
just a question but how do you know its the front.

our 2013 hops bad too but its the back axle which traction bars would correct,

Buck1

Reaction score
Beleive other guys have seen this on the coil sprung front ends, especially the truck pullers. I think all the variations of double shocks are different ways to solve this problem. Maybe one of them will chime in with a little more expertise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
ive never seen it in snow, sled pulling is a different story,

sledhead455

Reaction score
just a question but how do you know its the front.

our 2013 hops bad too but its the back axle which traction bars would correct,

Definitely the front you can see it and feel it in the wheel. My 2011 did it also but not as bad.

sledhead455

Reaction score
I'm going for a rip today I'll try to get a vid if the parking lot is deep. Thanks for the replies.

50_shooter

Reaction score
My 2011 did the same thing. In snow, I hooked onto a trailer that was froze down, and when it started spinning it just about shook my teeth out. I looked out the window at the front wheel, and it was moving fore and aft, like 2-3 inches! It was moving side to side some too, but not much.

Would those bars from One Up Offroad cure this? I just got my 14 platinum today, and want to cure this as well before it starts, as well as try to keep the death wobble from happening (which I had with my 11 as well).

WHY NOT

Reaction score
It was moving forward and backwards a couple of inches? Almost sounds like you had a bushing out in the radius arms. The little side to side is from the track bar when the wheels go up and down. With the triangle shape to the front suspension it will naturally move to one side or the other as you droop or compress the suspension.
The alas that people are talking about should keep your front axle very stable. Not sure if it would be an end all cure to the hop or not though

Sent from my I fone 5

50_shooter

Reaction score
It was moving forward and backwards a couple of inches?

Yes, it was moving a bunch. I have seen guys sled pulling with 8-10's that were violently moving fore and aft an inch or more. I don't really think that there is anything wore out, I think that when new they will do it too. Almost every one of these trucks I've been around has had the death wobble at some point too. I think there is too much give in the moving parts. I don't know if they are rubber bushed or what, but there is definitely a design flaw in these coil sprung front ends. The worst part is that ford wont admit there is a problem, so we are stuck trying to fix it ourselves, on our own dime. Sled pulling or daily driving, it shouldn't move, period. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these trucks. I picked up my new 14 platinum on Friday. This problem is the only thing I really have against them. I am gonna put some ala's on this truck to try to fix it. The death wobble is a scary situation that I hope I never have happen to me again.

strokinpower

Reaction score
The whole problem with death wobble (if all parts are in good condition) is typically lack of caster. These trucks I believe run around 1.5º-2.0º and they should have over 4º

hopefulHP

Reaction score
Mine has done the death wobble and it scared the $h*! Out of me. It ended up being mud on the inside lip of the stock wheels. Hasn't done it with the current set up at all.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online