bad idle when hot

V-Ref

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but that sounds like injectors. 500psi should idle smooth.

Sounds and acts like mine did when they failed. Ended up nuking an oring and inducing combustion through the injectors.

I hope this is not your case or youve caught it quickly enough that it doesnt damage anything. all 8 of my injectors needed new plungers and barrells and new nozzles. I pretty much had to buy new injectors over again.

DB-Glad to hear your truck is running good now and your past this issue.

The highlighted part above...explain that again. Wouldn't you have had indications of fuel in your coolant reservoir?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
DB-Glad to hear your truck is running good now and your past this issue.

The highlighted part above...explain that again. Wouldn't you have had indications of fuel in your coolant reservoir?

Not sure exact details. If Nate sees this maybe he can chime in. But something to do with it coming through the nozzle and being forced back through the fuel system. I pulled all the lines and filters and the fuel was all black.
Basically destroyed the plunger and barrel assembly. All the tungsten coating was gone. All the nozzles we're toast.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Groomz, in bold

Its not tuning,truck ran fine before.

The truck ran perfectly fine. The PCM cant overwrite a working tune. or Tunes. Thats what I ment.

I did say IF the truck ran fine before in those tunes, then its not the tunes.

I'm not saying it is tuning just stAted your theory was bogus..

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I'm not saying it is tuning just stAted your theory was bogus..

I think you misread it though. I said IF the truck ran fine prior. If it now runs like bag in all 6 of the same programs and without the chip in, its not in the tuning.

Never once did I say that any truck that runs like piss in all 6 is not the tunes. I said IF again IF the truck ran fine then had an issue its not the tunes.

Soooo MY theory isn't bogus....

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Here is why I asked the question to start with.

The truck starts great every time.
Give it some throttle and it runs great, in any tune.
but at a idle, and just reving it up it sounds like its missing, on running on about 4 cylinders. Just like in the video.
Even with the chip removed still the same.

Here is the real question.
What will hapen if I keep running i the way it is. There is no smoke or fuel smell, so its not over fueling, so can I run it that way?

I want to pull on the 14th of July. If I don't have it figured out by then I may just run it. Then I may find out what is going on.

Last edited:

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
I have been reading everything that has been posted about this and I have 1 more question.
What has changed since I installed the injectors?
It starts great.
Runs real strong when I stand on it.
There is no error codes.
The only problem is that the idle has gone to crap
Could it be something as simple as oil?
Well I don't know. But I think that before I Scan the truck or pull injectors, I just may try an oil change. So what oil should I use. Right now I am using 15 W40 Rotella.
What should I try?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
valvoline premium blue or shaeffers 7000.... if u can get it do the schaeffers... or maybe do what bean did on a truck running rotella that had bad idle charictoristics and tried tunning it out and couldnt... he just added 3 bottles of the schaeffers moly ep additive and it ran smooth as glass.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Get the Rotella out of the truck.... That should be goal number one.

Delo 400 with some of the schaeffers additive is your best bet price wise, just in case you have to change it again with an injector swap. I have the additive on the shelf so I could have it to you next day since we are only an hour apart.

TARM

Reaction score
Just to rule out something stupid check you ipr valve and make sure the top nut is tight and actually not loose or sitting in n the valley. :D

Tom S

Reaction score
I think a little diagnosis with a scan tool or a cutout box would pinpoint your symptoms pretty fast as to which cylinders are not up to par.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Injector Breakout Box directions

http://www.thompsondrywasher.com/ibb.pdf As Tom S posted..these things are a great tool to isolate cylinder specific issues.

FWIW-My truck when it get's to doing it's romping thing, sounds EXACTLY like yours, but to a lesser extent. So your not the only one! It's also intermittent/inconistent and isn't correlated with post hard run, warm vs cold, etc... My latest tactic has been to use Torque and this BT dongle, to "catch it in the act", and to see if I can grab a PCM parameter that will highlight the issue. In my truck, ICP/DC is definitely correlated with the Romp. AE does or another scanner can do the same thing...this is just convienent mechanism for me to do this.

Don't want to steer you off track...as my issue is intermitent/inconsistent, and doesn't quite shake/romp to the extent yours appears to be...but didn't want you to pull VCs, and try UVCHs, ICP, IPR, CPS, Inj O-Rings, crush washers, etc only to find out that didn't fix it. Unfortunately, I'd say at a minimum you need to pull the VCs and do a compression test, just to make sure you don't have an issue there....if so then pull injs if you see a out of whack number on those holes.

I'm on the fence right now if in my truck it's just a limitation I need to live with, or there's something mechanical I've missed. Tuning can play a role, but it seems to mask the issue, not fix it.

I provide all the above on my truck/issue for perspective on your truck. It's easy to log in here, and create an ideal standard for your rig, and then struggle applying it to your truck in the real world. Lots of good info/fellas here though, that want to see your truck running right....but be sure to temper the counsel you recieve, and keep in mind it is an internet forum.

I'm interested in what solves this for your truck. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
http://www.thompsondrywasher.com/ibb.pdf As Tom S posted..these things are a great tool to isolate cylinder specific issues.

FWIW-My truck when it get's to doing it's romping thing, sounds EXACTLY like yours, but to a lesser extent. So your not the only one! It's also intermittent/inconistent and isn't correlated with post hard run, warm vs cold, etc... My latest tactic has been to use Torque and this BT dongle, to "catch it in the act", and to see if I can grab a PCM parameter that will highlight the issue. In my truck, ICP/DC is definitely correlated with the Romp. AE does or another scanner can do the same thing...this is just convienent mechanism for me to do this.

Don't want to steer you off track...as my issue is intermitent/inconsistent, and doesn't quite shake/romp to the extent yours appears to be...but didn't want you to pull VCs, and try UVCHs, ICP, IPR, CPS, Inj O-Rings, crush washers, etc only to find out that didn't fix it. Unfortunately, I'd say at a minimum you need to pull the VCs and do a compression test, just to make sure you don't have an issue there....if so then pull injs if you see a out of whack number on those holes.

I'm on the fence right now if in my truck it's just a limitation I need to live with, or there's something mechanical I've missed. Tuning can play a role, but it seems to mask the issue, not fix it.

I provide all the above on my truck/issue for perspective on your truck. It's easy to log in here, and create an ideal standard for your rig, and then struggle applying it to your truck in the real world. Lots of good info/fellas here though, that want to see your truck running right....but be sure to temper the counsel you recieve, and keep in mind it is an internet forum.

I'm interested in what solves this for your truck. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Will save it and build one for my self.
I will get it. The more you dig into it the more you under stand whats going on, the more it makes sense. The problem most of the time is that we make it harder then it really is. Its easy to over think things, and when it turns out to be just a loose connection, or a solenoid thats loose all you can do is to laugh it off and learn for it.
You know if I could just let things alone and quite modifying everything life would be much essayer. But not as much fun.

TARM

Reaction score
The other issue when trying to get advice over the net is being able to effectively describe the issue and how the engine is running etc. So many times what one person calls one thing is not what another would and thus you end up getting some very different ideas of what the issue could be. I think videos with audio help tremendously. And honestly if you do not have something that can read codes or do some of the basic tests such as a Scan gauge or AE you are really handicapping yourself right out of the gate. Not saying it can not be done without because of course it can and sometimes it may even make it simpler but to not have that data can make something that could be found ricky tick into a real mole hunt.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Get that Rotella out first! my truck sounded horrible when hot with Rotella it gets so thin.. Try some delo with shaffers moly treatment or valvoline extreme blue like someone had mentioned. Mobil delvac ain't too bad either.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.