Bad logic side of FICM?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention...when I cycled the key and filled the filter housing with fuel...once the key was cut off, the bowl slowly started emptying. Not fast or anything, but just sitting there you could tell the fuel level was getting lower. Shouldn't it stay full as long as everything is hooked up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention...when I cycled the key and filled the filter housing with fuel...once the key was cut off, the bowl slowly started emptying. Not fast or anything, but just sitting there you could tell the fuel level was getting lower. Shouldn't it stay full as long as everything is hooked up?

is there something on the return that could be stuck open? I have no clue how 6.0 fuel systems work so I would think the bowl should stay full...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Take a pic of your stand pipe. Kinda sounds like the tip may be broken off

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If it was draining even the slightest, you'd be hydrolocking

6speedsd

Reaction score
Pulled all 4 injectors. All washers intact, all orings intact. Can't really tell where any gas pushed past the washer. Nothing obvious anyways. Lower washers were all still white...I'd think they'd be black if gas was pushing past one. A little crusty buildup around the lower cup on a couple...see pic.

I'll pull filter again here shortly and get a pic of it.

09485bc58e57b306cc8fa12044c3b44c.jpg

And this slight discoloration on one screen...maybe it's normal?

1d7fa7fabb6b7c4828e44ad7eab09ee5.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
e17f57685508b4952907a11445b72d01.jpg

Don't mind the stained housing...he got some bad fuel a while back. Wouldn't shock me if he's ran dyed fuel at some point.

Standpipe looks intact to me. Housing was completely dry, but I'm guessing it drained into the cylinders when I pulled injectors. However, filter was a lot drier than it should be...I pulled injectors within the past 30mins. If there was fuel in there until then, that filter should be at least somewhat wet. It's not bone dry, but no fuel drips off if you hold it up.

For the past little while he always got a puff of black smoke on start ups...cold especially. I don't need to start considering cracked injector cups do i?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If you had bad fuel you could have a scored nozzle letting compression back through the injector tip. To do a boofoo bench test, clamp a rubber hose on injector tip and blow air back through and watch the screens for bubbling. Pretty hard test, only other option is having them tested.

6speedsd

Reaction score
That bad fuel issue was a couple years ago. Not recent

Im about to try it though

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Little bolt through the solenoid on one injector is loose. Wtf? Like I can spin it by hand loose.

4e6e69cc76e0bac90f12aeecaa1fbc94.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. As long as it's not still loosening. Are solenoids still solid against body?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, on a couple of them that bolt was loose. Not as bad as the one, but not tight either. Those should be tight right?

Did that air test. All was good, except #7. It pushed the fuel out the screens and I could faintly hear air out the screen as well. That might be our problem child.

How big of a concern should that solenoid bolt be? With it loose did it eff up something, or can I snug them back down?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
****. Those suck, usually once you retighten they either break or loosen right up. I have no sources for them, but maybe vendors who rebuild do. If you find out I'd like to know.

Can't believe the test worked for ya, now replace injector or that bank, or all of them. They all have to be somewhat damaged

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Like ctc said, id replace that bank, as the air/combustion gas pumping into the other injectors more than likely damaged the others. I have always replaced the banjo bolt as well, as that is fords policy...

6speedsd

Reaction score
He's decided to replace that whole bank. 260k on them as it is, so he's really on borrowed time with them. I replaced 3 on drivers side last year. Bad fuel issue was back before those got replaced. Will replace the banjo as well.

As for solenoids, Rykan (Holders Diesel) is who built mine a few years back, and had him replace all of them on my set, so he might still have a source for them.

Can't thank you fellas enough for the help. I was stumped on this one.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yeap. You were a few minutes away from hydrolocking/melting down

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
He's decided to replace that whole bank. 260k on them as it is, so he's really on borrowed time with them. I replaced 3 on drivers side last year. Bad fuel issue was back before those got replaced. Will replace the banjo as well.

As for solenoids, Rykan (Holders Diesel) is who built mine a few years back, and had him replace all of them on my set, so he might still have a source for them.

Can't thank you fellas enough for the help. I was stumped on this one.

I would replace all 8 so they are working equally together..

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
I would replace all 8 so they are working equally together..

live life full throttle

I would too....but this ain't my truck. I'm thrilled he agreed to do one whole bank! The 3 I replaced on the drivers side last year I had to do individually. Gets old taking the same VC off time and time again replacing injectors one at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I would too....but this ain't my truck. I'm thrilled he agreed to do one whole bank! The 3 I replaced on the drivers side last year I had to do individually. Gets old taking the same VC off time and time again replacing injectors one at a time.

f that noise! lol

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Forgot to come back and update this. Replaced all 4 injectors on that side and she's running like a top again. I think he really only "needed" one, but with the mileage, I'm glad he let me do them all. He was amazed at how well it cold cranked afterwards...had issues for a year trying to start it cold, yet he wouldn't believe me when I said he needed injectors. Stubborn old man....but, I take after him!

Members online

No members online now.