Bad lope on cold start up

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive had 7.3s romp for numerous reasons. All oul related. Get air in the oil, it romps. Unstable pw, it romps. One is a byproduct of tuning being unstable or incorrect, the other is the same but from a mechanical perspective. Causes the same phenomenon but because worn injectors, oil aeration, tired lpop, tired hpop, ***ked ipr, etc. If you maintain your pig with an open checkbook id change all oil related stuff at once. Ipr, icp sensor, hpop, and inj orings if not injectors. Think of it as one component.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Working on a friend's truck, 1996 7.3, auto trans over two days. Unknown mileage as the he bought the truck with a bad mileage odometer. Straightened out a lot of issues but has a bad lope on start up. This is what I replaced with Ford/Motorcraft parts.

Truck is all stock, no tuner; just intake and exhaust.

- Both valvecover gaskets (2) and (4) injector harnesses
- Glow plugs
- Glow plug relay
- (1) Broken rocker
- Fuel line hoses by the fuel bowl
- Resealed fuel bowl
- Replaced vacuum pump
- Fuel filter
- Oil/filter change (15w-40 Motorcraft oil)

When I had the valve covers off, there were four different injector solenoids which relay don't mean anything to a normal person. I myself wounldn't accept that but anyway.....

The bottom of the fuel bowl was loaded with crap. Yanked the fuel bowl and cleaned everything. The screen was loaded up, that was cleaned.

Started the truck after doing the fuel bowl, it loped but I contributed that to empty bowl. Today I start the truck, it fired right up but loped bad and smoothed right out. It sounded exactly like this video I found on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdT-dso-cI

I'm gonna try to start the truck in neutral tomorrow to rule out the transmission range sensor.

Went for a road test; truck feels lazy. Maybe I'm just used to my truck.

Anything else I can check? No CELs set. I haven't put a scanner on the truck yet nor checked fuel pressure, got late.

Billy T.
[email protected]
Mine has done this exact thing several times, doesn't always but when it does its gotten worse. It would be for 3-4 seconds. The last 2 times I had to keep my foot on the pedal or it would lope just like the video you linked to. Actually the very last time it did it it wouldn't stop and finally stalled and turned it a crank no start situation. Hope you get it figured out man.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Mine has done this exact thing several times, doesn't always but when it does its gotten worse. It would be for 3-4 seconds. The last 2 times I had to keep my foot on the pedal or it would lope just like the video you linked to. Actually the very last time it did it it wouldn't stop and finally stalled and turned it a crank no start situation. Hope you get it figured out man.

You may have an actual problem going on as I'm sure it doesn't get all that cold down there. I think for most of us this issue is cold weather related. You might have a glow plug issue or air in the hpo system. Something like that.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
You may have an actual problem going on as I'm sure it doesn't get all that cold down there. I think for most of us this issue is cold weather related. You might have a glow plug issue or air in the hpo system. Something like that.

Yes sir I did the ipr sensor was changed and it hasn't done it since, you are correct it doesn't get very cold down here lol. Now when it gets into the 40,s here I plug my truck heater in it really helps it in the morning. Sorry to the op for getting off track.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.