BAD NEWS on engine tick... TSB

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Duramax engines have the same tick, my 04 LLY did it GM says it is normal sound.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Another tsb to say sir your 60k truck is ok and the tech the time you spent pulling this vehicle into your stall well were not going to pay you. Lol typical
there's a smiular tsb out for 2011 f150 for shift concern. Weve seen lots of those.

had a customer complain about tick but have heard it with the noise covers off of the 6.7l at idle it's loud

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
im at a little over 16k with mine and it does it as well, all tho it became more noticable after the dpf, egr delete, and tuner modification that i did to mine at 10k

6L strokin

Reaction score
i think the mileage affects the tick more than anything... i think most people are just doing all the deletes before it starts getting bad and thinking thats what caused it... i had around 30K on mine before the exhaust and it did it plenty bad before!

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
You also have to remember that the fuel injectors on a 6.7 aren't covered by a rocker cover anymore. Yes, they do have sound deadening covers on 'em but there's different stuff on a 6.7 that makes different noises.

I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it. If it bothers you THAT much, advance the piss out of the injection timing at idle and make 'er rattle. Lose the pilot-style injection too. It'll sound like a 6V53 detroit. :D

6L strokin

Reaction score
mine now seems to do it a lot worse right when i get the oil changed... the further alone an oil change it goes, the less it does it..... when its about time to change it again, it all but stops the tick totally.... then gotta change oil again! LOL

Halvy85

Reaction score
I just had the oil changed on my 6.4 and noticed a change in the way the engine sounded. I crawled under it and heard a slight tick and came on here to look for answers. Does switching from the Motorcraft to a different oil really change the engine noise this much? Or do I have a different problem. The tick seems to rev in sync with the motor.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
How annoying could it possibly be?

You guys have never owned a 7.3 have you?
I have. 2 of them. So that wouldn't bother me since the 7.3s we had were loud as hell.
mine now seems to do it a lot worse right when i get the oil changed... the further alone an oil change it goes, the less it does it..... when its about time to change it again, it all but stops the tick totally.... then gotta change oil again! LOL

Built in oil change reminder!

SAK

Reaction score
Mine use to have the tick after the first oil change. I was using Rotella first then switched to Valvoline blue, and it was still ticking. I switched to Valvoline Extreme Blue and the ticking has gone away.

I have a feeling the ticking is cause due to a lack of oil flow when the oil is fresh.

java

Reaction score
My dads 6.7 has the tick, the service adviser at ford said its a check valve somewhere behind the engine but its nothing to worry about..

dsmracing1

Reaction score
All Diesel engines do this nowadays. One of our ******d Dodges came to work just after an oil change with the typewriter tick. My old LML Duramax did the same thing too. My Ford does it as well so I'm not too concerned about it...

Latest posts

Members online