Bad turbo? Head gaskets?

fsbaker

Reaction score
I have an 05 F350 with 155,000 mi. with EGR delete, Edge CST Evolution gauges, coolant filter. Back in August it started to smoke a little and the engine sounded a bit "muffled" as I will describe it. the smoking got worse to the point that it was clearing the mosquitos for miles:) Scan said that #3 & #6 were not contributing much. Did compression test and all were within spec. No loss of coolant, starts and runs but had no power and the aforementioned smoke! Replaced all injectors and started up and seemed OK for a few minutes. On test drive it blew the air tube off the turbo (almost pooped my pants!). reattached and found that I was over-boosting big time. Removed and cleaned turbo - it had fair amount of build-up. Started it up and it is smoking worse than ever (but fixed the over-boost). I am at wits end. Is this kind of smoke (white and smells like diesel it think) seen when the turbo seal goes? I am hoping it is not he head gaskets but, more and more it is looking that way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sootie

Reaction score
pull the intake off and see how much in/out play there is in the turbo shaft.

when it blew the boost tube off was there heavy oil residue inside?

does this truck have head studs? and is there any dried coolant around the degas cap?

on edit: is this truck straight piped? the lack of power and overboost can be caused by a plugged cat due to excess coolant or oil in the exhaust.

fsbaker

Reaction score
Sootie, thanks for the quick reply. No head studs. End shaft in turbo is tight - no play. Truck has 4" turbo back exhaust. No dried coolant around degas bottle - flushed and changes to "good" red coolant. some oil residue in tube but not heavy.
I also checked the EBP tube - it is clear. I am at the end of my rope!!! Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.