Banana bent coils, need radius arm drop?

TRUBBS

Reaction score
so ever since i bought my truck its had horrible bump steer and wanders down the road, the dealer put a new gear box in it and that helped a little but not as much as needed.
got looking under there today and see it has a stock trac bar but does have a trac bar drop bracket (do i still need an adjustable one?)
and then i noticed the coils were bent kinda like a banana, so i checked the radius arms and seen they are factory arms in the stock location. truck is said to have a 6" lift (looks more like a 4" to me) so im looking at getting a drop bracket to hopefully get my truck to drive down the road rather then driving itself down into the ground
do you guys think im on the right track?

who has the best price for them? seen a set on FleaBay for 150 but would rather work with a vendor

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Nobody seen this before or have any insight to offer?
i thought i seen a thread somewhere before about this or something similar but cant find it

Diesel23

Reaction score
You could look up PMF they have individual parts you can by , you will probably need Trac bar and drag link , then a good alignment,
Oh and check your stock stabilizer or replace with dual set up

Strokinn6.0

Reaction score
If you have the appropriate drop track bar bracket for the 6" lift you shouldn't need an ajustable one unless ur anal and want the rear perfectly center the drop brackets get it pretty close. If you don't have radius arm drops I'm sure that's the problem the radius arm drop bracket brings your castor back to stock castor angles with out them you have to much castor causing the bump steer

NotStock

Reaction score
It sounds like you have half a lift kit installed. As the previous guys stated, you need to either add radius arm drop brackets or go to a 3/4-link setup. Your truck does not have enough castor which is what causes the truck to wander. If you need more specific help, shoot me a call.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll get a picture tonight and upload it to show you how screwy it is.

NotStock, do you sell a radius arm drop? If so can you pm me a price?

How hard will it be to install the new drop bracket? Something I can do with basic tools or will i need something to
Compress the coin to take the load/tension off?

sootie

Reaction score
i gave you the link in my post. it can be done with a floor jack and basic wrenches.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
It sounds like you have half a lift kit installed. As the previous guys stated, you need to either add radius arm drop brackets or go to a 3/4-link setup. Your truck does not have enough castor which is what causes the truck to wander. If you need more specific help, shoot me a call.

so i inserted 3 pictures (hopefully they show up)
not really sure what you guys need picture of to help me out tho.

also. how do i figure out how big of a drop bracket i need? measure the coil?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 100
  • radius arm.jpg
    radius arm.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 86
  • radius.jpg
    radius.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 79

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Caster is the relationship between the upper and lower ball joint. The more the lower ball joint is ahead of the upper ball joint the more positive caster you have and will cause the truck to want to drive straight(think of a bicycle if your riding it and leave go of the handle bars you will continue going straight for the most part but if you turn the handle bars backwards thus causing negative caster and then try to ride and let go they turn all over the place)

Gearhead

Reaction score
so i inserted 3 pictures (hopefully they show up)
not really sure what you guys need picture of to help me out tho.

also. how do i figure out how big of a drop bracket i need? measure the coil?

Yep... you are missing some parts... the axle is tilted forward because you are missing the rear drop brackets.

sootie

Reaction score
that truck must drive like sh!t esp over bumps. you do not have any radius arm drop mounts on there and you need them. typically, the cheaper mounts have two hole settings-one for 2-4" inches of lift and one for 6-8" of lift . i personally would go with trevors and have him match the drop to the amount of lift you have

http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Radius-Arm-Drop-Brackets_p_32.html

TRUBBS

Reaction score
that truck must drive like sh!t esp over bumps. you do not have any radius arm drop mounts on there and you need them. typically, the cheaper mounts have two hole settings-one for 2-4" inches of lift and one for 6-8" of lift . i personally would go with trevors and have him match the drop to the amount of lift you have

hey thats my name to! how do i go about figuring out how much lift i truly have?
http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Radius-Arm-Drop-Brackets_p_32.html

oh it drives like complete dog $h!t, tried taking it back to the dealer to see if theyd fix it but they seam to think the gear box was the one and done deal for it so im on my own now. only had this truck not even a month and already starting to hate it. but im sure after i fix the issues ill be in love all over again

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 67
  • balljoint.jpg
    balljoint.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 66
  • balljoint2.jpg
    balljoint2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 64
  • hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 74

NotStock

Reaction score
Replace the shocks and add the correct drop brackets for that size of lift. If you dont know what you have, call me when you are in front of the truck with a tape measure and I can tell you after you give me a few dimensions.

junglejoe

Reaction score
For whats it's worth... I'm having the same issue now going from a 3 inch to a 4.5 inch lift. With the 3 inch lift, it drove like a Cadillac... now the bump steer is DANGEROUS!!

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Got my new drop brackets ordered today on lunch, should be here Monday.
After talking with Trevor & giving him measurements off my truck we decided to go with a 6.5" drop.

Latest posts

Members online