BANG!!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i have a customer that has broken 3 stock gear sets.

truck has a stock dampner

6 speed trans. 2nd gear is alittle hard to crack.

the kid would pull a holeshot,go to bang 2nd,and miss the gear

truck has srl,and a southbend double.

ive checked crank end play,and is well within spec.

only thing i can come up with is,hes missing the gear and the motor zings north well over 4,000 by the time he lets off.

a few days after is when the gearset blows.

i just recently had another truck(same year 03) but with a automatic(bts unit) 190s 100%,stock head bolts,and active egr,and stock 03 10 blade,with a edge juice with monitor:jawdrop:

this truck was a no start. busted lpop.(stock dampner)

i also checked endplay on this crank as well, was within spec.

i believe with this one,guy was beating on the truck,and with the lack of trans tuning(older edge didnt tune the trans) it would miss a gear,neutraling out.

the directs are also smoked in this trans.

its now studed,deleted,and we threw a pm on it for now(funds were geting tight),sct gearhead tuned.

drive the truck easy,and it seems ok.

hammer on it and it goes into limp mode.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
I know of a few guys in my area that have blown LPOP gears with stock dampner. I've been running a fluidampr for at least 6 years with no issues. Truck has seen some high rpm truck pulling and some passes down the strip....still in one piece. Maybe i'm a lucky one IDK. But i do know of a bunch of others who have never had an issue with them either. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw i guess...who knows.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Well I'm not ready to rebuild this engine again...it's only got maybe 3-4 hours of run time on it with all of it in town driving.
I will try and replace the FD with the stock one by Monday night.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The cause is when you hit the rev limiter the injectors shut off, HPO demand stops and a shockwave travels from the hpop back to the lpop gears and they break. Manual trans are more likely to hit the limiter than autos.

Ever turn off the faucet in a house and here the pulsating in the plumbing as the water stops. Pressure build up, it has to go somewhere.

Fluidampr augments this which I assume is not because balance but that when the shockwave of oil hits the front of the crank the fluidampr doesn't absorb any of the hit (just a theory).

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The cause is when you hit the rev limiter the injectors shut off, HPO demand stops and a shockwave travels from the hpop back to the lpop gears and they break. Manual trans are more likely to hit the limiter than autos.

Ever turn off the faucet in a house and here the pulsating in the plumbing as the water stops. Pressure build up, it has to go somewhere.

Fluidampr augments this which I assume is not because balance but that when the shockwave of oil hits the front of the crank the fluidampr doesn't absorb any of the hit (just a theory).

raise the limiter in sct so it cant hit!!!lol

if it was only that easy...

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I don't have a 6.0 but have been running a fluiddamper on my race truck for about 5 years with no issues. But on the new motor it does have an ATI on it

sent from somewhere in the country

HiVoltage

Reaction score
To the OP:
Please describe how you were driving when it happened. Speed, rpm, was the engine warm, etc.

All warmed up, about 25 miles of nice easy driving 45-50 mph. On ramp,from a stop,got on highway a little hard, nothing crazy, hit about 70-75 mph and she shut down. probably 3000-3500 rpm. Truck had been running great since the new tunes, not even a hiccup.
Cab's off, motors out, gonna tear it apart this weekend. I'll keep y'all updated.

Latest posts

Members online