Battery Relocation...

CamTom12

Reaction score
I got a random idea this morning to relocate my batteries to my toolbox. It'd make room to put my coolant heater under the hood and room for a turbo on the other side when I finally get to that point.

My toolbox is an aux tank as well - I don't know if that'll be an issue.

I thought about building an aluminum box and lining the floor of it with rubber to go inside the toolbox compartment (opposite side of the fuel filler / fuel pump), cutting a hole in the side of the box to run a vent and the cables out from there.

For reference, I'm talking about the right side of the box:
tfi40galtoolboxta.jpeg

I figure that'd be fine, but I figured I'd see what the consensus was before I start working on it.

Red_93_L

Reaction score
Sounds interesting for sure. I've been kicking around the idea of mounting mine on the passenger frame rail just to clear up room under the hood. Guess I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Sounds interesting for sure. I've been kicking around the idea of mounting mine on the passenger frame rail just to clear up room under the hood. Guess I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

I have my batteries relocated to the passenger side frame rail. It definetly does open up more room in the engine bay. It wasn't that hard to do and I guess I did it right cause I haven't had any problems yet...nock on wood tho.

MINK

Reaction score
I have my batteries relocated to the passenger side frame rail. It definetly does open up more room in the engine bay. It wasn't that hard to do and I guess I did it right cause I haven't had any problems yet...nock on wood tho.

Any pics of your setup? I'm wanting to do the same.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I would use some of those plastic battery holders if mounting them in a box or bed. Gets rid of the likely hood of a wrench or something hitting the terminals.

CamTom12

Reaction score
My idea is to build a sealed aluminum box with a rubber liner on the floor and a vent to outside the toolbox itself. But, I dont know about the fuel box. Seems like it'd be ok to me if it's insulated properly, but I figured I'd ask the group.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
just keep in mind, that the new battery cable, while needing to be longer, will also need to be ALOT larger, to prevent line loss do to the additional length.

and as for a aluminum box, i dont think i would make a box out of something that conducts electricity, thats sitting right over fuel, where if it for some reason arced, it would electrify the entire thing.

me personally, i would use the plastic battery boxes with plastic lids, like you would put in a boat, to put my batteries in, then make a aluminum cover, so it was presentable. think the steps on a semi, where the batteries go, kind of cover. you could orient the plastic boxes on the right side, side by side, then put your cover over all of it.

just a suggestion.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Its an older picture of the setup. Ive recently added two mudflaps one in front and one in the rear to protect from the snow and they actually worked to my surprise lol.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
yup, spatel's way is kind of what i was saying. turn that 90*, lets you put another battery next to it if you wanted, then make a aluminum plate over top, that draped down the side towards the rest of the tool box, and you'd never know they were there.

then if you had a deep tool box, it would make a shelf over the batteries, and create that into useable space.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Mines pretty shallow, unfortunately. But I should have plenty of room there. What'd you do about supporting your Degas bottles?

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Mines pretty shallow, unfortunately. But I should have plenty of room there. What'd you do about supporting your Degas bottles?

The battery box is formed into the degas bottle so mine is still there right now but i have something that will be taking its place.

CamTom12

Reaction score
The battery box is formed into the degas bottle so mine is still there right now but i have something that will be taking its place.

Yup, and so is the vacuum resovoir. I've got a plan for the vacuum res, but I'm not sure how I'd separate the degas bottle without hacking the factory battery tray up. What do you have in the works?

EDIT: I went outside and did some measuring. The batteries (motorcraft) are 7.5" H (top of post) x 7.5" W x 12.25" L. In the toolbox I've got 9.5" of height and 14.5" wide (at the latch, which is 1" from the top of the side and the narrowest part). Looks like plenty of room to mount in there and still have lots of toolbox space leftover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online