Battery upgrade

Homesteader

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to better batteries. Should I convert to single or stay with duals. If dual what is the best batteries. If single what is the best battery?

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I removed my OEM Ford batteries and opted to install two Yellow top OPTIMA batteries instead of using brand new Ford batteries... So far, so good. Cranks right up!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Motorcraft batteries.... Very hard to beat.

I wouldn't install Optima if someone gave them to me for free, they have gone down hill in the last couple years in a huge way. Manufacturing left the local plants and the quality went with it.

CMCx2012

Reaction score

I wouldn't install Optima if someone gave them to me for free, they have gone down hill in the last couple years in a huge way. Manufacturing left the local plants and the quality went with it.

And when these finally go, I will switch over to the MC batteries without a doubt!

Homesteader

Reaction score

Derek which motorcraft battery? Part #?

Reaction score
Here is a few tidbits:

The higher the CCA's the shorter the life of the battery. Provided your climate agrees, get the lowest CCA but not cheap batteries, commercial grade.
Buy your batteries where the fleets do, never retail, Napa is poor, chain stores are poor. As a fleet manager with a lot of batteries, I have low tolerance for problems.
I have battery's 5 years old in the 91 that I pulled out of the 96 and put new ones because the one 7 year old batteries in the 91 finally died. One of the 7 year old batteries is in my forklift
I have been running Centennials from Battery Systems. Not sure of the future of Battery Systems. They have been great for the last 15 years or so.
One group 31 commercial fleet battery probably exceeds most cheap group 65. Ask any battery vendor (not a parts store clerk but a mfg rep) and they will tell you group 65's were designed for cars not diesels.

psduser1

Reaction score
I've run a set in my dually for better than five years from my local parts store, not sure who builds tjem, but they're still going strong. I'll have to do some checking, see who actually builds them, but at right around $110 apiece, they're beating the optimas, hands down.

mustube

Reaction score
I've always bought Motorcraft batteries when I've needed to buy new ones and never had an issue, and if you're not buying them at the dealership the price isn't out of line.

Optima battery quality is a crap shoot now. I used to work parts and the warranty rate was higher than the cheapo batteries.

As long as you get your batteries at a place that doesn't get group 65s by the pallet (fleet stores, and NAPA) then they shouldn't be on the shelf long. At the store I used to work at we didn't have any group 65 batteries more than a month old.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Priced the Diehard Platinum 65 today it was 260.00. Is that the Platinum everyone is talking about? It's the gray not Blue battery correct?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.