battery?

punkrockford

Reaction score
Bad alternator or starter is drawing too much current during engine cranking. I would have both bench tested. Leaning toward failing alternator

superstroked

Reaction score
Corb,

Mine is doing the same thing(fail to autostart after sitting) but will start. It looks like I have one battery that is on the way out. When first starting It only charges at about 13v for the first few minutes then, bumps up the 14+ on the dashdaq. I have been putting off batteries for a while now but, will break down soon. My build date is in 07 sometime

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Corb,

Mine is doing the same thing(fail to autostart after sitting) but will start. It looks like I have one battery that is on the way out. When first starting It only charges at about 13v for the first few minutes then, bumps up the 14+ on the dashdaq. I have been putting off batteries for a while now but, will break down soon. My build date is in 07 sometime

I was just about to post the same thing...build date 07/09... After running about 10 min, now 14.03..... I'll test each bat separately in a bit...

Drivers side bat had fair amount of corrosion... Cleaned with wire wheel...

Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
For future reference... Checking voltage on the dashdaq, is not how to gauge battery power... Disconnecting each battery and load testing each one individually, gives better feedback.... LOL

superstroked

Reaction score
For future reference... Checking voltage on the dashdaq, is not how to gauge battery power... Disconnecting each battery and load testing each one individually, gives better feedback.... LOL

It does show that your alternator is working properly though!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It does show that your alternator is working properly though!

Right that was my main thing, there is no real good way to actually check the batteries other than isolating them and load testing them, you can check voltage after they have sat over night and that might tell you if one has an issue over the other but even then load testing the battery is the best way

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Well ***..... New batteries, as soon as I fired it, it clicked on me again.... Second try fired right up. Not getting over 14 V... Idling over 13, running at 13.67... 12.6 when I shut it down.

Alternator is doing fine, or so it would seem... But the starter seems to have some kind of issue. Maybe a loose wire, or a slightly jacked up ground... More to follow...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
check all grounds and connections at both ends. make sure those are not lose or dirty/corroded. batteries are gonna be above 12 volts as long as the alternator is producing more than 12v.. if all connections are good, clean, and tight, the alternator is prolly bad from keeping bad batteries charged. should still be above 14v at idle.

live life full throttle

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
what did you come up with corb?

live life full throttle

Still working on it..... Also changing tunes on the SCT is a total PITA... I could not change between tunes, without throwing codes like crazy. But, one issue at a time... Ill be under the truck in the morning, and up at Rudy's thursday afternoon until we figure it out...

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Does it turn over slower than it used to? I'm guessing starter is weak. You probably won't realize it until you put a new starter on it and crank it for the first time. It will crank faster than you remember it ever cranking.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Does it turn over slower than it used to? I'm guessing starter is weak. You probably won't realize it until you put a new starter on it and crank it for the first time. It will crank faster than you remember it ever cranking.

It doesn't seem to turn slow. But, like you said, won't realize it till you see a new one crank. I am still less that 14 V when running, sometimes. But, all of the sudden, I'll be at 14.15 V.... I'm still leaning toward a bad ground... We will see in a bit...

superstroked

Reaction score
I got new Motorcraft 750cca batteries yesterday and hot ham what a difference this morning! I am going to stick the other two on a slow charge for a few days and then return the one that fails a load test and use the other on my golf cart. :D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to turn slow. But, like you said, won't realize it till you see a new one crank. I am still less that 14 V when running, sometimes. But, all of the sudden, I'll be at 14.15 V.... I'm still leaning toward a bad ground... We will see in a bit...

that or voltage regulator is going out in the alternator.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online