been thinking about compounds, have ??s

BigRed97

Reaction score
so ive been itching to do something to the truck with tax refund time coming up

Ive always wanted to do compounds but I know NOTHING about sizing them and waste gates

Im fully capable of building all plumbing and mounts.

currently the truck has a S366/71 with 250/80s
(injector size would jump up to something like 300/200 or slightly bigger? if this compound thing happens)

that being said, I want to use my current turbo as the high pressure(and really that will be the deciding factor, if i cant use it the idea gets tossed for now)

SO...
would my current charger work well in a compound set up?(without more than a housing swap)
what would be a good atmosphere turbo?
gt45xx, gt4708, gt4718, s480, s488, somehting else?

would i need to gate both, just the small, just the large?
what size gate{s}?

enlighten me...!

oh and not looking for more than 650-675 hp...the truck is my DD

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Imo I wouldn't bother doing compounds till I had a built bottom end. That is where I would start. I would bet a s480 would work well with your s366.

PA Stroker

Reaction score
As far as i know your current turbo wood work pretty good as a HP with a tight housing and a gate. That being said I wouldnt compound it unless you have atleast billet rods. Your rods are very likley to come see some daylight. I believe there is another member on here that had the same problem maybe he'll chime in.

Noonman350

Reaction score
I'm kinda thinkin about compounds too mainly for the low end response and the cool factor, but id want to use my current 38r in the build. What would be a good turbo to go with that? And would it have to be a Garett? I know little to nothing about turbos, so bare with me.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
A GT4718 or a S488 would work good with the charger you have now. Also would work good with 300/200. Or could go with 400/200 with all the high speed mods.

i would not go less then a 88mm inducer turbo with the 66 you have now.. As a rule of thumb (does not always work out though But is a good thing to keep in mind) the atmospheric turbo should flow twice as much as the turbo it is feeding.. Another thing to keep in mind is the bigger the atmosphere turbo the more air you get at lower boost. And in most cases you dont go much over 25 PSI on a atmosphere turbo.. You also need to decide on what you want to see for MAX psi of boost @ the manifold. That can also play a role in what you need your the atmosphere turbo..

As a rule of thumb the 7.3L do better with a 88mm plus atmosphere charger..

What do you want to do with your pickup?? any towing?? Or going fpor as much power as you can get from the injectors you want??

under pressure

Reaction score
Someone posted a chart on cfm at rpm for different turbo and compounds. I dont remenber where, but the pressure on the compounds is so early you need alot of bottom end, irc 1750 cfm over 2000 rpm.

I think if they were sized a little closer it may be easier on a DD. Just my thought on it. ( or is this way off)

Last edited:

Addicted4

Reaction score
Start with a built motor first if looking at making 650+hp.
Most people have never been in a stroke with 500+ and they can't be used at that power level for anything but breaking **** or competition.

38r .84 housing wastegated and a gt45, gt47, s475, 480,488 would be awesome quick spool up off idle and good mid to top end power

Wastegate both stages

Primary, first stage, atmosphere is the big turbo

High pressure, second stage, is the little turbo

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
GT45 is to small... So is the S475 I would even shy away from the S480 UNLESS you did nothing but towing! then it would be sweet! For 600 plus HP you would be better off with a S488 or GT4718... Even then they can choke the engine a little..

Just ask Charles.... He had the GT7418 then switched out to the GT5594 (I think it was the 94) Made a big difference spool up was about the same lower back pressure lower EGT. Better all around the board.

Addicted4

Reaction score
You have compounds cowboy? If a 42 can make north of 600 and compounded system with a 45 will easy? And turbo sizing for compounds should be idle to peak torque and peak torque to peak rpm the motor sees.

Cubic inches, rpm, peak boost should all be taken into consideration when building compounds.

38r with a 45 would be a great 600hp towing capable fun setup or even a s400

BigRed97

Reaction score
Imo I wouldn't bother doing compounds till I had a built bottom end. That is where I would start. I would bet a s480 would work well with your s366.

As far as i know your current turbo wood work pretty good as a HP with a tight housing and a gate. That being said I wouldnt compound it unless you have atleast billet rods. Your rods are very likley to come see some daylight. I believe there is another member on here that had the same problem maybe he'll chime in.

I know that it will blow, i'll run it until it does...when it breaks i'll make it better, just how i am

A GT4718 or a S488 would work good with the charger you have now. Also would work good with 300/200. Or could go with 400/200 with all the high speed mods.

i would not go less then a 88mm inducer turbo with the 66 you have now.. As a rule of thumb (does not always work out though But is a good thing to keep in mind) the atmospheric turbo should flow twice as much as the turbo it is feeding.. Another thing to keep in mind is the bigger the atmosphere turbo the more air you get at lower boost. And in most cases you dont go much over 25 PSI on a atmosphere turbo.. You also need to decide on what you want to see for MAX psi of boost @ the manifold. That can also play a role in what you need your the atmosphere turbo..

As a rule of thumb the 7.3L do better with a 88mm plus atmosphere charger..

What do you want to do with your pickup?? any towing?? Or going fpor as much power as you can get from the injectors you want??

honestly the truck is 99% a commuter for just a couple miles a day, tow less than 15K once or twice a year and might see the track and/or a pull once a year. I have absolutely no need for the power I have now, never mind what im thinking of....but i want it

so i should be looking for a gt4718 or s488 or maybe a gt559x ?

what about wastegate sizing...?

Noonman350

Reaction score
You have compounds cowboy? If a 42 can make north of 600 and compounded system with a 45 will easy? And turbo sizing for compounds should be idle to peak torque and peak torque to peak rpm the motor sees.

Cubic inches, rpm, peak boost should all be taken into consideration when building compounds.

You're sayin a s400 would work well with my 38r? What other things will I have to do as far as tuning goes? Just tell them I have compounds? Or will I have to get it live tuned? Also... What should I set the waste gates at?

Addicted4

Reaction score
All depends on if the motor will stay together. Peak boost should play a factor in injector size and tuning. Live time is always best but it can be done without it. Wastegate settings depend on peak boost and where you want each turbo to start and stop making boost. Hope that makes sense.

I would love to see a s300 small turbo 59-62mm with a 4202x t6 housing 1.28 or a s478-480 for a street tow setup 238/100 or 200 with Matt's tunes

Noonman350

Reaction score
All depends on if the motor will stay together. Peak boost should play a factor in injector size and tuning. Live time is always best but it can be done without it. Wastegate settings depend on peak boost and where you want each turbo to start and stop making boost. Hope that makes sense.

I would love to see a s300 small turbo 59-62mm with a 4202x t6 housing 1.28 or a s478-480 for a street tow setup 238/100 or 200 with Matt's tunes

Hmm... Makes sense to an extent. I'm not great with all this turbo stuff tho. Like, peak boost is the total amount of boost right? I don't want anything super crazy or anything. Maybe 55-60psi? I just want that super responsive feeling. I tow a lot, it's a DD and sometimes a drag truck ( but not often ). My injector size is 250/100...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score

The 45 would work in towing set up.. BUT would still hinder the engine.
Would light fast but not flow enough air..

The GTX4202 flows as much air as a GT4508 BUT would be worse in a compound set up then a GT4508...

A PM is coming....

I know that it will blow, i'll run it until it does...when it breaks i'll make it better, just how i am

honestly the truck is 99% a commuter for just a couple miles a day, tow less than 15K once or twice a year and might see the track and/or a pull once a year. I have absolutely no need for the power I have now, never mind what im thinking of....but i want it

so i should be looking for a gt4718 or s488 or maybe a gt559x ?

what about wastegate sizing...?

Depends on your max up you would like to see.. I would stay away from the GT55 and stick with the S488 or the Gt4718.. The GT4718 would be my first choice IF you ever wanted to go bigger. If you dont the S488 would work great!!

Maybe back on track guys ......waste gate sizing??
At least a 44mm And that depends on what you want for max power..
a 50mm would be great to. 44 might be the best bet.. just for the ease of tuning..

Just for the ones wondering.. S400 is the frame size of the turbo.. You can get a S400 frame turbo with anywhere from a 65mm comp inducer to a 91mm comp inducer. Just depends on what you want..

BigRed What is the max boost you want to see?? And max hp??

Addicted4

Reaction score
Good luck to all your compound setups I'll take this to pm as this is getting off track

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Cowboy is right. Anything under an 88mm with a 66mm looking for 600HP is to small. And the low end power is what makes forged rods into drumsticks....

Latest posts

Members online