Belt and idler pully

hunter scar

Reaction score
Im going to replace my belt and idler pulley tomorrow. the pulley has some play in it. Anything else I should check? What brand parts should I get oem or aftermarket. Also is the pulley a left or right hand thread? Thanks Hunter

TARM

Reaction score
The idler pulley( one with the rib channels) under the alt is a T-50 normal right hand threaded ( counter clockwise loosen). The tenser pulley (smooth one) is a 15mm bolt and is left hand threaded (clockwise to loosen). The bolt to remove the tenser mechanism is also a T-50 IIRC.

Be sure to check all the pulleys as it may not be just one that is messed up. On the others than the tenser you can just replace the bearing packs. That is $10 versus $55+. On the tenser IMO its best to replace the whole unit as the tenser spring is just as old and likely has lost much of its tension.

Rob

Reaction score
Where may I find a part number and procedure for pressing out the cartridge bearing to the smooth idler pulley on top? And what about the little plastic bushing inside, inbetween the cartridge bearing and the mounting seat, that the mounting bolt passes through? I'd like to rebuild my upper idler, rather than tossing the entire wheel due to a worn bearing and stabilizing bushing.

TARM

Reaction score
I have not done one is a long time but I am actually about to on my X. The part number is on the pulley. Once you get it off you should be able to read it. When I do not have a press I just use a socket that fits the bearing and bang it out and then in. Make sure to get the right bearing and that its sealed. NAPA etc should have it as its fairly common from what I recall. Sorry I am not sure on the plastic thing. Maybe Ty can tell you what it is etc as he seems to have replaced just about everything more than once LOL

Latest posts

Members online