Best clutch for 7.3

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
I have a 1997 7.3 with the following mods: Full Force Stage 1 injectors, TS 6 position chip, WW2, and intercooled. I'm needing a new clutch and was wondering what is my best bet?

m j

Reaction score
the kevlar pilot bearing is junk
if you need a dual disc then maybe look at SBC and Valair but for a single disc it looks like they both just rebox an off the shelf clutch that you can get for 1/2 the $$ on ebay

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
No plans for future mods other an electric fuel system. The truck pulls horse trailers, and a Bobcat every once in awhile. Not going to a truck pull in this one.

sniper_101

Reaction score
the kevlar pilot bearing is junk
if you need a dual disc then maybe look at SBC and Valair but for a single disc it looks like they both just rebox an off the shelf clutch that you can get for 1/2 the $$ on ebay

I strongly disagree. The pilot bearing and throw out that came with my Valair both failed within 8 months. I put in a SB kevlar BUSHING and a new Ford throw out and it has been fine for almost 3 years now.

Also my single disc from Valair, 350hp rated was $350/380 I forget. I wouldn't call that expensive, but I did have to spend extra on the bearing/bushing. I'm happy with it.

Reaction score
No plans for future mods other an electric fuel system. The truck pulls horse trailers, and a Bobcat every once in awhile. Not going to a truck pull in this one.

A valair kevlar/ceramic gets my vote. One of the best clutches I ever ran with your setup.

FWIW, my truck slipped a LUK 13" clutch with stage 1's, modded 17*, electric fuel, IC, and a completely stock turbo...

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score

hwrdbd

Reaction score
The valair ceramic DD that I have has been nothing but trouble. It seems that the flywheel is too thick, forcing the pressure plate to sit so far back that there is no free play in the clutch fork. Throwout bearing is noisy as hell and the clutch slips. When I get some more time I'm going to talk to valair about it again...

m j

Reaction score
I strongly disagree. The pilot bearing and throw out that came with my Valair both failed within 8 months. I put in a SB kevlar BUSHING and a new Ford throw out and it has been fine for almost 3 years now.

Also my single disc from Valair, 350hp rated was $350/380 I forget. I wouldn't call that expensive, but I did have to spend extra on the bearing/bushing. I'm happy with it.

my SBC and as many of the pieces of the kevlar throw out bearing as I could find. stock motor

Reaction score
I sent an email to Valair to get some more info on a good set up would be for my application. Thanks!

They will either recommend a dual organic or a kevlar/ceramic single.. I can almost guarantee it. The dual organic is a pretty nice towing clutch and is what I'm putting in my SD.

Latest posts

Members online