Best engine/transmission setup for a daily driven/towing 7.3

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why would you run it with 250/200's? It's the same money as a 468

Some people like a smaller charger on the street. I like going from zero boost to 40lbs in about a second and a half with my 38r...the bigger chargers make higher overall numbers but I like how hard it hits..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
^^^^^^The common denominator = tuning.

Billy T.
[email protected]
i only have one tune... it's the "hold the **** on" tune..

Some people like a smaller charger on the street. I like going from zero boost to 40lbs in about a second and a half with my 38r...the bigger chargers make higher overall numbers but I like how hard it hits..
what takes so long?

live life full throttle

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Better? I dont know about better? We're still deciding the better issue at low fuel levels.

Seems guys who went to the basb had trouble eith their 38rs. Lots of us didnt though.

The one time I had trouble for a month running some larger a codes or small hybrids, I can't remember, it was 200 degrees high. Always. I bkamed the egt probe. I do have vatometers after all. I finally threw in good stock injectors. ..no chip and a loaded trailer. Everything looked good but still 200° hot. Wtf!? 900 degrees with 8klbs of trailer running up the 7 mile hill to Arlington from my house. Its 2-5% with no flat spots. It was running at 900 degrees. Doing 55.

I finally went to checking my new brakes and new bearings. Frikkin pass side rear caliper was dragging :doh: two week old brakejob. Smh. Replaced it. Reinspected. Road test. Stock injectors no tuning. Trailer. Running 65 up the same hill egts 775-800 degrees. Pedal to the floor. Which is pretty effin good. The truck had full fuel system, srp1,35s, and 3.73. Those are cool egts in my book. With the chip and php tunes it wouldnt exceed 750 doing the same run. Unless I used the race tune! Then 1300 was there lol. This is with that billwt wheel too.

I do have one gripe right now that is totally related to that wheel. With 35s and 3.73s it hits a hot spot right into OD with the billet wheel. Its not running high enough and it hits 900 degrees. With the stock 38r wheel it'd be 550-600. Smaller tires would work or putting that noisy ass cast wheel back in.

What billet wheel are you running? Mine was happiest with the Dieselsite D66 wheel.

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight yall. I likely would have sprung for the basb had i known, but i didnt. That being said, im happy so far with the 66 turbo, and im guessing my experience is differet since mytruck is geared lower. I think it has 4.30s, everytime i do the math im closer to 4.30 than 4.10. Thats probaby why it is working for me better than some with 3.55s.
I was considering PIS 160/30s next year but im tempted not to screw with it, especially since i tow horses a lot and dont want much smoke. It will smoke a little on my 80hp tune, so i figured bigger sticks it would smoke even more. Im assuming my injectors are origina but t be honest im not sure, not the first owner. I dont really need it, as it is now i can run long hills at 70 in cruise in 5th gear as it is with the 40 tow tune with a 10-11k, 34' fifth wheel. The 15k horse trailer will pull it down to 65 ish depending on the hill.
Anyway, wondering if the brute66 would still work as good as it is now with the bigger sticks or if the new injectors would mess things up and cause me to upgrade the turbo again.
It never ends!!

Reaction score
When I had 160/0s and D66 while towing our 30ft TT, it was fine at 2200rpm and up as far as power, smoke and egts go, getting to that point without getting hot first was the problem, and the 3.55s and zf5 didn't help matters. Guys with steeper gears tended to have better results, hence they do breath a lot more at higher rpms, but I wanted something that was more efficient all around, plus if I'm in a situation and have to lug down to 1700, egts are still very managible/low given the low rpm...

I personally think the 160/30 might actually favor you, in both the power, smoke and egt department, and the brute should definitely hold up fine with those sticks as well, again, if it's working for ya, no need to change

psduser1

Reaction score
A 30% nozzle with good tunes will be cleaner than stock. Of course, that's also true with a 80% nozzle, no matter the cc size. Any tuner worth his salt , assuming you give him accurate info, will take care of that. Even better, live tuning, which is about the same price.

Reaction score
Obviously many components are major roles, but Good tunes and nozzle size plays a key role in managing egts with any turbo combo, especially at higher power levels. As a lot are finding out, they actually tow cooler with some of the bigger injectors and nozzles, again GOOD TUNING will make or break wither or not your injector size of choice will perform good. My truck will not only tow much faster, but cooler than it did stock as well

TyCorr

Reaction score
for most its tuning... for me its rpm.. im sure she would get toasty in the rockys while towing if i left it in od...

live life full throttle

Prolly not. Youd hit the hill at 80 with it to the ***kin floor and have it screaming up the grade....

Latest posts

Members online