Best fuel additive for the 6leaker

worldwide73

Reaction score
Usually around 25 cents more a gallon which equals the cost of the additives I dump in. Premium has a high cetane, more addtives, and longer shelf life.

7point3

Reaction score
opti-lube XPD + super tech 2cycle.

I like the results of the HFRR tests, and cant get bio diesel without driving too far

ULSD is gonna end up taking it's toll for sure.

Last edited:

bboteler

Reaction score
Actually my southern states premium diesel is usually the same or within 5 cents of the cheap place across the street and the truck runs mug better

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
When you raise the cetane level of your fuel from 36-42 at the pump, to 50 consider how much better your fuel burns.. Cetane levels in my area is in the 36-40 range.. My truck runs a lot better with Ford cetane in it.. A high cetane rating also helps keep your EGR system working cleaner if it's intact.. This has been my experience over the past 10 years..

How do you find out the cetane levels of the fuel without testing before a fill up?

Atsah

Reaction score
How do you find out the cetane levels of the fuel without testing before a fill up?

They did a test in my area including the station I use and those are the numbers they found.. I did see a Hess station in MA that said there cetane was at 42..

chappy

Reaction score
I'm running optilube xp now. I have yet to do a fuel milage test but the motor is quieter then without it thats for sure.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I read a lot about this a long time ago. Here is my take. The entire reason for adding a additive is lubricating the injectors or the pump (depending on the application). Atf is not a good lubricant. It actually will decrease the lubrication.
From my experience with the powerservice stuff and ford product I noticed no gain in mpg or reduction in actual noise. I ran that crap every tank for at least a year in my 04. I tried a few tanks with 2 stroke oil and noticed a lot less noise from the engine. I neither gained or loss mpg. I now have a 06 and so far I haven't noticed a noise difference using 2 stroke oil. I have used power service 1 time in this truck with no difference. I now use the power service as a fuel system cleaner which I think it would be likely better classified as.

Atsah

Reaction score
I read a lot about this a long time ago. Here is my take. The entire reason for adding a additive is lubricating the injectors or the pump (depending on the application). Atf is not a good lubricant. It actually will decrease the lubrication.
From my experience with the powerservice stuff and ford product I noticed no gain in mpg or reduction in actual noise. I ran that crap every tank for at least a year in my 04. I tried a few tanks with 2 stroke oil and noticed a lot less noise from the engine. I neither gained or loss mpg. I now have a 06 and so far I haven't noticed a noise difference using 2 stroke oil. I have used power service 1 time in this truck with no difference. I now use the power service as a fuel system cleaner which I think it would be likely better classified as.

I find that the Ford cetane performance additive works well in my truck.. You make some good points.. The Ford stuff did not make a differance in my last 6.0 or my 02 7.3 for that matter but this truck likes the stuff for some reason.. :shrug:

Austin

Reaction score
Seems like trucks react differently to different additives, fuels, etc.

My old black truck didn't care what it ran on. But this gray one sure as hell doesn't like any fuel that isn't Conoco.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I'm pretty well convinced that the fuel additives offered are mostly hype. They use a little bit of truth and a lot of hype. Most people are not overly educated and then you add word of mouth and my some old trucker told me etc. If it does work for your truck and/ or you notice a improvement then great. Also if it gives you piece of mind then go for it. As others have stated I have noticed that different brands/ stations have different qualities of fuel. I don't track my mpgs as anally as some but on some tanks I go further then others. I'm normally with in 2mpg unless I'm on a trip and then the speed determines how efficent the truck runs.

Atsah

Reaction score
Seems like trucks react differently to different additives, fuels, etc.
My old black truck didn't care what it ran on. But this gray one sure as hell doesn't like any fuel that isn't Conoco.

:whs: