best injectors for PMR's

big_stroker

Reaction score

So if you have PMR's you want it to have an over sized turbo and smoke like a pig? :doh:

But really can you explain a little better for us. I completely understand not wanting to high peak boost and power at the lower RPM range but why would you want a bigger turbo? Why not just control the fuel with the tuning and that way you can light the smaller turbo on demand when you are are a little higher RPM?

Look at me I'm learning!

golfer

Reaction score
So if you have PMR's you want it to have an over sized turbo and smoke like a pig? :doh:

But really can you explain a little better for us. I completely understand not wanting to high peak boost and power at the lower RPM range but why would you want a bigger turbo? Why not just control the fuel with the tuning and that way you can light the smaller turbo on demand when you are are a little higher RPM?

Look at me I'm learning!

I think you answered your own question.

turbo's don't make smoke, btw

big_stroker

Reaction score
I guess what im getting at is if you dont have enough fuel for the bigger turbo your just going to keep falling under it and cause unwanted smoke and loss of power... To big of a turbo is just as bad as to small of one am I wrong?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I don't know the name of the table... It's one of Matts favorites though.

You just hold PW low until the MAP sees a higher number.

golfer

Reaction score
I guess what im getting at is if you dont have enough fuel for the bigger turbo your just going to keep falling under it and cause unwanted smoke and loss of power... To big of a turbo is just as bad as to small of one am I wrong?

you need fuel and displacement per time to spin a turbo. fuel alone won't do it.

(stepping back from the topic for a moment)

ever wonder why the little 3.0L gassers can spin turbos nearly 2x the size that are generally run on our engines? rpm...displacement per time...and they do it...very well on very small rods (and cranks) that would twist into pretzels subjected to our tq loads. why? rpm...no tq..gobs of hp

I really think that the same approach should be used to cater to the guys wanting "safe(r)" 400hp or whatever with PMRs...gotta spin them a little more to prevent the low rpm tq...which simply makes sense to me to run a larger turbo on a PMR truck to make the same hp, with a better sense of reliability.

if you want to make a chit ton of tq...I wouldn't recommend it on PMRs...if you want to make some decent hp...do what you can to prevent the excessive and unnecessary tq for the hp goal.

golfer

Reaction score
I don't know the name of the table... It's one of Matts favorites though.

You just hold PW low until the MAP sees a higher number.

it's the low boost fueling table

which would work fine...unless the turbo's efficiency range is too narrow to take advantage of the SEVEN LITER engine at a decent rpm...again...to prevent the low rpm power (ie, excess tq)..

if 750-850ftlbs of tq isn't enough down low...you need to change engines, LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes it does. Ass end likes to swing around pretty quickly if I hammer on it.

I'm running a stock 17 degree HPOP, but the fuel is from a Walbro pump along with the fuel lines completely replaced and stock fuel bowl delete with a remote mounted fuel filter and W/S setup.

That's a great idea.

What's funny is my idle is actually very smooth after a cold start, and while the engine is below NOT. Only after it's fully warm does the idle quality start to chop a bit. That's the part I'm still trying to figure out.

Ive heard other tuners talking.about.that before. We had a good dicussion going on that very topic a while back and Matt r, charles, and cat rebel wer all.talking about ways to try to mitigate choppiness and soot/hazing at idle.

Are you a one tune wonder? Or are you running multiple tunes? Im hopeful to be a single tune guy and doing my own tuning before too long.

How much lift are you running, suspension wise? Tire size? Im running six inches.and 37s. Im going to a 35 though. Pretty noticeable difference between the two.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Ive heard other tuners talking.about.that before. We had a good dicussion going on that very topic a while back and Matt r, charles, and cat rebel wer all.talking about ways to try to mitigate choppiness and soot/hazing at idle.
I need to chat with some folks about it too. My hazing has been significantly reduced within my last few updates, but the choppiness is still there. I see videos of Blowby's truck idling with those gigantic injectors, and I'm instantly jealous of how smooth it is.

Are you a one tune wonder? Or are you running multiple tunes? Im hopeful to be a single tune guy and doing my own tuning before too long.
I test different tunes, but only at two power levels - a milder "tow" tune that is about 310 hp at the rear wheels (dyno'ed), and my other tune that has the same fueling as when I drag raced my truck. I mainly drive on the higher HP tune only now-a-days, and tow with it as well. I have the lower HP "tow" tune that I switch to when my wife drives, simply because she doesn't like the extra power. If she didn't drive my truck at all, I would probably only have one power level at this point.

I do have a separate drag racing tune as well, simply because the shift pressures are pretty crisp compared to a daily driver setting. And I can't stand driving around when the transmission tries to break my neck on every upshift. Works fine for the strip, but that's it.

All I really do is mild tweaks to those tunes. I make small adjustments, and test them out. I work on idle quality of course, as well as smoke control, EGT control, and making linear power with the throttle pedal.

How much lift are you running, suspension wise? Tire size? Im running six inches.and 37s. Im going to a 35 though. Pretty noticeable difference between the two.
6" lift, and tires are 325/60r20's. I'm also running 4.30 gears.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I need to chat with some folks about it too. My hazing has been significantly reduced within my last few updates, but the choppiness is still there. I see videos of Blowby's truck idling with those gigantic injectors, and I'm instantly jealous of how smooth it is.

I test different tunes, but only at two power levels - a milder "tow" tune that is about 310 hp at the rear wheels (dyno'ed), and my other tune that has the same fueling as when I drag raced my truck. I mainly drive on the higher HP tune only now-a-days, and tow with it as well. I have the lower HP "tow" tune that I switch to when my wife drives, simply because she doesn't like the extra power. If she didn't drive my truck at all, I would probably only have one power level at this point.

I do have a separate drag racing tune as well, simply because the shift pressures are pretty crisp compared to a daily driver setting. And I can't stand driving around when the transmission tries to break my neck on every upshift. Works fine for the strip, but that's it.

All I really do is mild tweaks to those tunes. I make small adjustments, and test them out. I work on idle quality of course, as well as smoke control, EGT control, and making linear power with the throttle pedal.

6" lift, and tires are 325/60r20's. I'm also running 4.30 gears.

Jeez, asixe from the injectors, our trucks are veeeery similar. Well, the tuning also. I dont know about those gears around here. We're flat and wide open, topographically speaking.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Jeez, asixe from the injectors, our trucks are veeeery similar. Well, the tuning also. I dont know about those gears around here. We're flat and wide open, topographically speaking.

The gearing combined with the tire size puts me almost right back to a stock feel regarding RPM vs. road speed.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The gearing combined with the tire size puts me almost right back to a stock feel regarding RPM vs. road speed.

Joe(csipsd) posted a video of him doing 75 on the big roads and the motor was windin hard. I would love those gears if I pulled small machinery on a trailer everyday. Are you ok with rpms at interstate speeds(65+).

I was going to do gears but if I go to a 35 I think I wont need them.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Joe(csipsd) posted a video of him doing 75 on the big roads and the motor was windin hard. I would love those gears if I pulled small machinery on a trailer everyday. Are you ok with rpms at interstate speeds(65+).

I was going to do gears but if I go to a 35 I think I wont need them.

The RPM's on the highway are identical to a stock truck, so I don't mind at all. I live at high altitude anyway, so that's the main reason I went with gears. It was tough on the truck going up a mountain pass with larger tires and stock 3.73's, as it would jump in and out of 4th constantly.

Plus my truck tows all the time too. Got a trailer hooked up to it right now.

Latest posts

Members online