Best PCM code to tune?

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I just received my php hydra flash and my PCM code is apx1 and there isn't many tunes available for that code. My question could I reflash it for a different code with more tunes available?

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I want to say that I have read that the pmt codes are the best for tuning. Doesn't mean they would have more tunes for it tho.

Nobody Special

Reaction score
There SHOULD be 19 available calibrations for VSAA4Q9 on the HydraFlash server. If you don't see those 19, email Angela and she'll get Bill on it.

[email protected]

The problem with APX1 is that it's in a bastard child PCM family. It's not any more or less "tunable" than anything else, it's just that it was a one-model-year-only deal....and standard 99.5-01 DPC-421 tuning won't work in it; it'll run fine, but it will have ZERO power (like leaving the MAP sensor hose unplugged will do).

Last edited:

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
the PMT have a few more tunes more towing, daily driver, racing, and fuel sipper wich wasnt avaibile for my code. What does it cost to have a PCM reflashed

Nobody Special

Reaction score
You can't flash the APX1 PCM to a PMT-anything. I'm still wondering how many calibrations are showing in the drop-down menu.

As I said, there should be 19. If not, contact Angela at the aforementioned address.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
There is atleast 19 for mine there are more for others. The PMT are fo autos correct?

Nobody Special

Reaction score
There is atleast 19 for mine there are more for others. The PMT are fo autos correct?

There are more for automatic trucks because they feature more than just power levels.

On edit:
This is from the website...

"ALL 7.3L PSDs WILL HAVE A MINIMUM OF 15 CALIBRATIONS AVAILABLE."

Sounds to me like you're there.

POWER-STRUCK said:
isn't a zxg1 a 01 file also? try that one

Those calibrations don't exist on the Hydra server save for anything with a zero horsepower rating.

VSAA4Q9 is what he needs....I just don't see why more than 19 are needed (or more than one or two for that matter).

Last edited:

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I just was curious because I wouldn't mind a fuel economy tune and a couple more high performance.

Nobody Special

Reaction score
We don't offer a "fuel economy" calibration because there is no way that anybody can guarantee better fuel economy.....and then customers would be pissed when they still get the same 14-15 MPG they always had. Mileage on a mechanically sound vehicle depends nearly 100% on how hard the engine has to work (how much power it's making). It takes a fairly specific amount of fuel to make a specific amount of power. Unless a person goes to the lengths necessary required to lower the amount of power it takes to move the vehicle and keep it at a certain speed, fuel requirements aren't going to change.

I guess it WOULD be possible to make an economy tune, but it would be a danger on the street. Cut the power output capability of the engine about 75% and then limit the speed to 40 MPH.......that would do it. Basically the programming equivalent of putting a 2x4 under the accelerator pedal. Nobody would use it because it would suck to drive; not to mention being a HUGE liability issue. For example, for all of the people who like to cut out into traffic.....that would be bad news.

Also, no amount of different calibrations is going to increase performance above what the 100P calibration does (with stock injectors). Being a manual, you have total control of what gear you're in and how hard you want to push the truck. Eleven duplicates of the same calibrations aren't going to make any more power than the 100P.

Last edited:

jaybuller

Reaction score
Nobody special are you saying that in a stock injectored 7.3 the 120race,140 extreams don't make any more power than the 100p? It makes sence to me. Ive tried them all and I agree that I feel absolutely no difference in seat of the pants power from the 100p to the 140ex. but I figured it was just do to a weak hpop or something.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
Your saying ther is nothing different from your 120 race to 120 extreme? or anyting other similar tunes?

Nobody Special

Reaction score
Just in the amount of smoke you'll get up to about 1800 RPM.....

There's only so much pulse width available and there's no way around that. It's not limited to any one vendor/custom tuning company. It's just the way it is. It's a mechanical limitation. To put it in perspective, the available pulse width at 2500 RPM is about 4.1mS (actual)...that's not enough time to empty an AD with the injection pressure that's afforded by running such a drawn-out pulse width - and the commanded pulse width automatically gets longer the lower the pressure gets (depending on how the pulse width map is written). The available time does nothing but get shorter and shorter the higher the RPM climbs thus injecting less and less fuel.

but I figured it was just do to a weak hpop or something

You'll definitely see the injection pressure drop, but it's not because of a "weak" pump. It's just the nature of the beast when running higher pulse width. This is why larger nozzles are your friend when it comes to the 7.3L.

Last edited:

jaybuller

Reaction score
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I wondered how I was able to hold 2600 psi at anything under 2000rpms in the hot tunes but it drops off dramatically over 2000rpms and will only hold 1900psi from about 2200 to 3000 rpms with 4.8 ms pulse width. makes sence now!

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
In theory doesn't that mean more fuel? More fuel to spin turbo faster to spool quicker?

Latest posts

Members online