Best s300 option for towing with stock injectors

Swaan

Reaction score
Lol
After looking at that link , not only do they not even mention if its a t3 or t4 they dont even say what A/R it is..

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand when a wastegate is needed?

Is it different for manual VS auto?

I dont understand why some turbos have it and some dont.

If there is a good link for me to read, im more than willing.

Thank you,

The Brad

Reaction score
An overly simple explanation would be when you have enough drive pressure to overspeed the turbine and push the compressor past the choke line it its map. At a certain point, the compressor is no longer efficient, so the drive pressure goes way up compared to the boost. A big turbo (for a given application) won't spoil well, but doesn't need a waste gate. A small turbo will spool quicker, but you'll need to relieve the drive pressure on the top end.

Swaan

Reaction score
Its so you get the best of both worlds.
You can go with a smaller A/R to get great spool up then on the top end you can relive the back pressure caused by the smaller A/R.
So basically you can have your cake and eat it too!

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
An overly simple explanation would be when you have enough drive pressure to overspeed the turbine and push the compressor past the choke line it its map. At a certain point, the compressor is no longer efficient, so the drive pressure goes way up compared to the boost. A big turbo (for a given application) won't spoil well, but doesn't need a waste gate. A small turbo will spool quicker, but you'll need to relieve the drive pressure on the top end.

Its so you get the best of both worlds.
You can go with a smaller A/R to get great spool up then on the top end you can relive the back pressure caused by the smaller A/R.
So basically you can have your cake and eat it too!

Got it. Appreciate the explanations.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Does an exhaust housing need to be made for a certain size turbine? Like I already have a .91 t4 housing. Can i use a 68 or 73 turbine or do I need to figure out which one it is made for?

I have 160/30 Injectors and an s366. I'm pretty happy with it but I keep hearing about these sxe turbos and now I kinda want one. What would everyone recommend for a towing setup. From what I been hearing I like the thought of the 363. I don't run it over 2500 rpm very often.

Swaan

Reaction score
All box s366 came with the 73 tw. So just make sure the 363sxe has the 73 tw and your housing will fit no problem.
Asssuming your s366 is not some custom build of course.

But yes you need the right size wheel for the housing .
A 68 is not interchangable with a 73 or viseversa

Swaan

Reaction score
Just the size of the compressor wheel. The 363 is just 1.5 mm smaller. So it will flow just a tad less but spool a tad faster and come up on boost at a touch lower rpm then the 364.5.

1badpsd

Reaction score
If it were me id do a 363/74/1.0, I think that run damn good with stocks and 160/30. Back in the day I ran stage 1's and a 62/71/17 h2e and it ran very good and towed great and gets stayed cool, plus tuning has come a long ways since 2008. Even more recent I was running stock injectors in my 550 with a 66/76/17 modded h2e and I was surprised how well it did and that was a six speed

cjfarm111

Reaction score
One thing nice about the Borg lineup is the options for wheels and housings. And they are relatively cheap to purchase so experimenting won't break the bank. Sometime when I get a free weekend I'm going to try a couple different exhaust housings on my 364.5 just to see the difference

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
I had a couple questions in relation to the housing size vs exhaust turbine wheel size.

I have 160/30's and am finally going to be pulling the trigger on a T4 setup this winter. Truck currently has 4.10's and 32" tires but will be tossing in 05+ SD axles next year with 3.73's and going up a tire size, so that will change the RPM's I will be running. Right now I run it in Drive at about 2800 rpm going up Hwy 80 into Nevada and OD at about 2200 RPM's. Barely can make any boost in OD without it being too smokey and hot on any decent hills. Want to make sure the new turbo I will be installing will operate from 1600 rpm on up.

Now that all the different box turbos are available in the different sizes I am undecided. I was originally going to go with the 362/68/.91 last year to make it a really good towing setup.

I was looking at the 363 but was wondering what the major differences would be between a 363/68/1.0 and a 363/73/.91? Would the 68 tw unit spool up a tad faster but not produce as much volume at the higher RPM's vs the 73 tw while having similar back pressure numbers?

My first instinct is to get the 363 in a 68/.91 configuration but am unsure if the drive pressure will be too high at 3-3400 rpms. I don't run that too often, but sometimes surprising that newer Mustang leaving a stop light next to you is too tempting... Granted changing the exhaust housings later isn't a big deal, so more interested in getting the right compressor wheel to turbine wheel size for lower rpms and the 160/30's fuel output.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
364.5 or the BASB. Not sure how some of the new SXE turbos compare to the BASB but it's basically a custom 364.5 based on the old turbos. It will kinda spool at 1500 and 1600 it's starts to be happy, 1800 and its ON. With 4.10's and 35's I'm always in OD.

JDelaney

Reaction score
I have 160/30 sticks and a 364.5SXE and couldn't be happier with the engine performance. The truck is pretty damn strong at 1700-1800RPM.

Swaan

Reaction score
With the addition of the new style sxe 73 turbine out now , i really dont think theres a reason to use the 68 mm on the 7.3 anymore.
The only reason i went with the 68 is because the old style 73 was such a turd.

I think youd be more then happy with a 63/73/.91 sxe.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have 160/30 sticks and a 364.5SXE and couldn't be happier with the engine performance. The truck is pretty damn strong at 1700-1800RPM.

That is a great setup right there. Ever since we started carrying the 364.5 turbo, we have recommended that combo a lot. Pretty much everyone running it loves the way it performs.

Reaction score
I agree, 364.5 sxe or BASB, was an awsome towing combo

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Reaction score
Studded and reworked 6.0l with powermax now. However our parents 02 is stock injectors and billet 38r, probably gonna do 175/80s or 230/100s when we do injectors, and maybe send the 38r to KC and have them modify it. Haven't really been happy with it yet, but I believe the stock injectors are the reason. It was a major improvement over the stock turbo, just not the results I was hoping for. It is used to primarily pull there 31' TT, still gotta keep your eyes on the Egt's if it's in OD, so we usually just have to lock OD out and cruise at 25-2600. Id like it to cruise down to about 19-2100, but that combo doesn't like it

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Studded and reworked 6.0l with powermax now. However our parents 02 is stock injectors and billet 38r, probably gonna do 175/80s or 230/100s when we do injectors, and maybe send the 38r to KC and have them modify it. Haven't really been happy with it yet, but I believe the stock injectors are the reason. It was a major improvement over the stock turbo, just not the results I was hoping for. It is used to primarily pull there 31' TT, still gotta keep your eyes on the Egt's if it's in OD, so we usually just have to lock OD out and cruise at 25-2600. Id like it to cruise down to about 19-2100, but that combo doesn't like it

I was very surprised that you gave up the 7.3 after you had it running so good and went with a 6.0. Not judging but I was very surprised. It seemed like you loved your setup.

Maybe I missed it but what was your reasoning behind this decision?

Latest posts

Members online