Best stock 6.0 injectors for the $

Gary

Reaction score
have you ever tried or tested pure power? i believe they make the motorcraft injectors
No I haven't,
The company that I said 7 out of 8 failed, they told me that all Motorcraft injectors were done by them LOLLOLLOLLOL, pure BS. So after the injectors were in the engine and it actually ran worse with their injectors than the original 200k mile injectors I called their tech guy, this guy tries telling me some BS that I need a FICM flash, I then told him how I tested his injectors and what the results were. His response after that was send them back, we'll give you a refund and pay labor, which was $300, woopie.
If the injector doesn't have a BRAND new connector, harness and coils, it's NOT Motorcraft.

248superduty

Reaction score
What id like to know is do the motorcraft ones have new spool valves as well? And do any of the rebuilt ones have new spool valves?

Gary

Reaction score
What id like to know is do the motorcraft ones have new spool valves as well? And do any of the rebuilt ones have new spool valves?

I seen a video that was produced by Ford, and the Motorcraft injectors have a updated set of coils, new spool valve, harness and connector. Now the new coils have a relief on the side the faces the spool valve, that is to to help ex-spell oil which helps to prevent stiction.
I avoid all aftermarket electronic injectors, the aftermarket can not rebuild them like the OEM's do.

Gary

Reaction score
Here is a picture from a aftermarket injector problem from this week,
somebody else put it in and it was at a friends shop.

Screenshot_2015-01-15-12-05-56_zps7eb1aa0c.png

swinky

Reaction score
^^^ That explains it all ^^^ Anything else is JUNK period, and if you
tested them with a Hickok G2 tester you could see the difference.
I think junk is a little harsh. There's plenty of trucks running smooth with old rebuilt injectors. I understand what you're saying but I'm not buying Ford remans every time I want a bigger injector.

That being said. If I bought Ford remans today how long would they pass your test for? 50k miles?

Gary

Reaction score
I think junk is a little harsh. There's plenty of trucks running smooth with old rebuilt injectors. I understand what you're saying but I'm not buying Ford remans every time I want a bigger injector.

That being said. If I bought Ford remans today how long would they pass your test for? 50k miles?

Looks like your in NC, so you don't see the cold we see here in the North. The colder it gets, the worse the stiction is. I've tested a lot of engine stone cold, that's where stiction is at it's worst. If you start a cold engine and watch the tester for stiction values they will start to decrease after 30 about seconds usually, then some injectors may take five minutes, and some will stay in the fail range. The Motorcraft injectors don't have any stiction at all on a cold start, I know I've tested them, they are always 245-255MS delay. On a engine that runs good with the original injectors you typically see around 275ms of stiction, usually the aftermarkets are 275ms+, which means they have the original spools and coils. The tester condemns them at 350ms, and a engine with >300ms stiction is very cranky to start cold <40*.
If you have seen the results that I have seen you would call the aftermarket junk also.
As far as bigger injectors, A few years I talked to Matt at Full Force and he told me he starts with a new Motorcraft and the then does his work to the nozzle, because of the spool valve issues.
So as far as how long the Motorcrafts last, IDK yet, I've been using them for years and the trucks never come back, and I know a lot of them have more then 50k on them. So over the years I've used 100's ans 100's of the Motorcrafts and I have seen only 1 injector fail and he had about 10k miles on it. I'd say that a good record. So until the aftermarkets can address the spools and coils the way Ford does, I'll call them junk.

Reaction score
Looks like your in NC, so you don't see the cold we see here in the North. The colder it gets, the worse the stiction is. I've tested a lot of engine stone cold, that's where stiction is at it's worst. If you start a cold engine and watch the tester for stiction values they will start to decrease after 30 about seconds usually, then some injectors may take five minutes, and some will stay in the fail range. The Motorcraft injectors don't have any stiction at all on a cold start, I know I've tested them, they are always 245-255MS delay. On a engine that runs good with the original injectors you typically see around 275ms of stiction, usually the aftermarkets are 275ms+, which means they have the original spools and coils. The tester condemns them at 350ms, and a engine with >300ms stiction is very cranky to start cold <40*.
If you have seen the results that I have seen you would call the aftermarket junk also.
As far as bigger injectors, A few years I talked to Matt at Full Force and he told me he starts with a new Motorcraft and the then does his work to the nozzle, because of the spool valve issues.
So as far as how long the Motorcrafts last, IDK yet, I've been using them for years and the trucks never come back, and I know a lot of them have more then 50k on them. So over the years I've used 100's ans 100's of the Motorcrafts and I have seen only 1 injector fail and he had about 10k miles on it. I'd say that a good record. So until the aftermarkets can address the spools and coils the way Ford does, I'll call them junk.

Have you ever tested to see what effect Rev X or Hot Shot's has on the spool valve delay?

Gary

Reaction score
Have you ever tested to see what effect Rev X or Hot Shot's has on the spool valve delay?

Actually I have tried hot shots, the results vary. It can and does help/work but it's not a cure, I'd call it a band-aid at best. You may not notice a instance improvement, but over some time it will help.
I have even tried to polish the spool valves, and I could see a big difference at a idle, but driving the truck it would misfire randomly once it was in OD, so that didn't work 100%.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Im sure this stiction tester has its place... but 6 years of starting trucks cold and watching power balance pretty much tells me the same thing.. LOL

even a buzz test cold and another one right after start up.

powerlifter405

Reaction score

Gary

Reaction score
Im sure this stiction tester has its place... but 6 years of starting trucks cold and watching power balance pretty much tells me the same thing.. LOL

even a buzz test cold and another one right after start up.

I've been using this tester for about 5 years, it's been on 100's of trucks, I also use a Snap On Modis that has cylinder/power balance. The G2 will condemn a injector with >350ms (milli sec) of stiction, you will never see that in a cylinder balance test, NEVER. So, on a cold start you have stiction, that stiction effects the way it starts, as so as the engine starts the stiction will begin to diminish, sometimes it gone in <30 seconds, temperature also effects stiction, but the stiction still effects start up. You can't do a cylinder balance that quick or on a cold start up. A truck that has 275-350ms will start and run "alright" in 40*F, but a 300k mile 6.0 in -14F* with 245-255ms of stiction will start better than any other diesel. Just 25ms of stiction make a big difference. I did make a video of the -14 cold start, I'm not sure how to post it tho.
I know the results you get from a cylinder balance test, I've done plenty, then I also know the results of stiction and the effects it has on a 6.0.
Over the years I've read plenty of posts about cold start, ruff running and smoking issues on these 6.0's and I was always thinking if they could only see how much stiction they had in their injectors, but I never said anything because I knew nobody had a way to check it and bringing it up would just cause a fight, so I just mentioned it in this post because the OP posts on and tries to help other people and obviously know this engine well. I won't bring this tester up again.

Reaction score
I've been using this tester for about 5 years, it's been on 100's of trucks, I also use a Snap On Modis that has cylinder/power balance. The G2 will condemn a injector with >350ms (milli sec) of stiction, you will never see that in a cylinder balance test, NEVER. So, on a cold start you have stiction, that stiction effects the way it starts, as so as the engine starts the stiction will begin to diminish, sometimes it gone in <30 seconds, temperature also effects stiction, but the stiction still effects start up. You can't do a cylinder balance that quick or on a cold start up. A truck that has 275-350ms will start and run "alright" in 40*F, but a 300k mile 6.0 in -14F* with 245-255ms of stiction will start better than any other diesel. Just 25ms of stiction make a big difference. I did make a video of the -14 cold start, I'm not sure how to post it tho.
I know the results you get from a cylinder balance test, I've done plenty, then I also know the results of stiction and the effects it has on a 6.0.
Over the years I've read plenty of posts about cold start, ruff running and smoking issues on these 6.0's and I was always thinking if they could only see how much stiction they had in their injectors, but I never said anything because I knew nobody had a way to check it and bringing it up would just cause a fight, so I just mentioned it in this post because the OP posts on and tries to help other people and obviously know this engine well. I won't bring this tester up again.

You need an IDS to do a correct power balance test. The Snap on is very slow compared to it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Actually I have tried hot shots, the results vary. It can and does help/work but it's not a cure, I'd call it a band-aid at best. You may not notice a instance improvement, but over some time it will help.
I have even tried to polish the spool valves, and I could see a big difference at a idle, but driving the truck it would misfire randomly once it was in OD, so that didn't work 100%.

Hot shots was a complete waste of money IMO. I've tried Hot Shots, Rev-x, and Archoil 9100. Rev-X and Archoil are leaps and bounds better than HSS. Archoil is a TINY bit better than Rev-X, but it's also 1/2 the price, so that's why I use Archoil. HSS did almost nothing for my truck.

Agreed though, it's not a cure, it is a band-aid on sticky injectors. I run it anyway now, love the stuff. (Archoil 9100).

Bulletproof diesel was working on a process for spool valves to help make them better. We had a really good discussion last year some time about stiction and additives etc... it's buried on here somewhere.

Since you have a really nice test machine, how does that take into affect the different FICM programs? The biggest difference I've seen with how these spool valves function is what programming is on the FICM. I've probably had 75 different FICM's on my truck to actually test as well. One of the best ones I ever had was an early 03 FICM. When I sent it back to the guy that owned it, he actually called me thinking something was wrong because of how quiet his injectors were. I can literally cure some mild stiction by swapping FICM's. (Just depends on how lucky you get and what FICM goes on).

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Gary-

As I stated, the tester has its place. I was simply stating that watching a power balance cold start will tell me all I need to know. The IDS power balance pulls up immediately as engine fires, well of enough time to tell which injectors are problematic. With IDS you can also turn-off computer controls so it's every injector for itself, no help in smoothing idle, so you can really tell which ones are fubar.

Gary

Reaction score
Gary-

As I stated, the tester has its place. I was simply stating that watching a power balance cold start will tell me all I need to know. The IDS power balance pulls up immediately as engine fires, well of enough time to tell which injectors are problematic. With IDS you can also turn-off computer controls so it's every injector for itself, no help in smoothing idle, so you can really tell which ones are fubar.

So how would you compare a Snap on scanner to a IDS? I may have to buy me a IDS.

Latest posts

Members online