Best traction bars for a 450

08Tarheel450

Reaction score
Who offers the best ones? I do not sled pull or drag race but I do tow heavy, regularly. I am tuned, studded, egr delete, WG, 4" downpipe, CFM, Batmowheel, cac cold side pipe and a Spearco. I guess my question is, which are the best for what I do?

Last edited:

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i'm sure OUO bars are really nice....but they're also damn near a grand. That being said...we can get some custom made for you if you're interested. shoot me a pm if you'd like more info...

Ronin

Reaction score
I installed a set of OUO's on my buddy's '08 F350 XC/LB. BEST mod he's done for the truck (his words); the difference is day and night and it's so smooth now with the tire hop and axle wrap eliminated it's ridiculous. The improvement in shifting is sick too.

They're not expensive considering the amount of material, build quality and results you get from them. I've seen other posts with "budget" traction bars that got bent/tweaked/wrecked in no time; you get what you pay for...

Likewise, Trevor/PMF's are highly recommended and well liked and respected too; can't go wrong with either one!

They're on my list, just gotta wait until I get my 4800# springs in and the rear block out to get it lowered/leveled.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
after you see the way a set of one ups are packaged, i wouldn't doubt it if $100 is spent on packaging alone. one of the nicest parts over ever bought for my truck.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
after you see the way a set of one ups are packaged, i wouldn't doubt it if $100 is spent on packaging alone. one of the nicest parts over ever bought for my truck.

I agree with this they are nice I'm installing mine next week and they are the best damn packaged product I have ever bought from any company. They packaged everything and package it well.

These could bounce around multiple UPS trucks and take a beating from the shipping company and all tho the boxes may look like they've been to hell and back I promise you the product inside will be un harmed due to the extreme care OUO takes in packing those products for shipping

Ronin

Reaction score
Did you see this month's Diesel Power magazine recommended traction bars as one of the top 10 must haves on a diesel...?...!

There's no doubt that you cannot go wrong with either PMF or OUO and now Trevor is talking about a new "less extreme" (for lack of a better term) coming out from PMF shortly.

I've heard a LOT of talk about Newton/FAT BOY traction bars seen HERE lately, and it looks like they're likewise a viable option and definitely affordable.

Just a lil more food for thought...

Layson

Reaction score
I've heard a LOT of talk about Newton/FAT BOY traction bars seen HERE lately, and it looks like they're likewise a viable option and definitely affordable.

Just a lil more food for thought...

Have you actually seen those? You ever see the connection to the axle and how it necks down. That's a red flag to me.

Ronin

Reaction score
Have you actually seen those? You ever see the connection to the axle and how it necks down. That's a red flag to me.

Yes, yes I have seen them. I've also seen other traction bars (not OUO or PMF mind you) twist like pretzels with little more than a single trip down the 1/4 mile.

But I haven't seen that with these, and while Newton may not be as well known as either OUO or PMF, they're not exactly the new kids on the block either.

I have first hand experience with the OUOs (installed on my buddy's '08 F350) and there's plenty of people that are tickled with Trevor/PMF's offerings (no need to [re]introduce any drama at this point either).

Trevor's in the process of introducing "less extreme" (and more affordable) traction bars shown HERE.

I don't off-road or sled pull and will likely take my truck down the 1/4 mile a few times to see where my tunes are at, so that's about it. My truck's being lowered/leveled with 4800# springs and a rear helper spring and block delete. I tow an enclosed car trailer (set up for 4-motorcycles) which runs about 8K pounds max.

I really don't wanna do the OUOs 'cause then I'd have the same thing my buddy does, which is kinda ghey. I was thinking either PMF's or Newton's bars would suit my purposes just fine (Cal Tracs aren't even an option for obvious reasons).

I don't baby my truck but I certainly don't abuse it either, and I'm comfortable that either of these bars would work fine for me (although PMF still hasn't provided pricing information). I'd also be the first one to tell it like it is if they performed any less than expected and likewise hold the manufacturer accountable to make it right.

So thanks for your concern, duly noted!

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Some mound to the axle directly infront of it with two points (one toward top, one toward bottom) but the axle has more leverage on the bars than the bars do on the axles. Then on top of that they will use small diameter tubing with thin walls for weight. The bars need to be hanging under the axle in order to distribute the weight and pressure up through the bars to the frame while the pressure is forcing forwards rather than infront of the axle where the pressure is forcing upwards by then and twisting the bars. Some of the strongest bars will bend at this point

Latest posts

Members online