best tune for mileage

golfpro2301

Reaction score
I just got my 2010 6.4 with a spartan and DPF delete as well as CAE. and my mileage sucks right now. I am running the 275 Tune and the dash says between 28-30 on interstate. I have driven exactly 257 miles since filling up my first tank and its almost down to a 1/4 I babied the throttle the whole time except once when a buddy was with me when I stomped on it for about 5 sec. around 220 of the miles are interstate.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I just got my 2010 6.4 with a spartan and DPF delete as well as CAE. and my mileage sucks right now. I am running the 275 Tune and the dash says between 28-30 on interstate. I have driven exactly 257 miles since filling up my first tank and its almost down to a 1/4 I babied the throttle the whole time except once when a buddy was with me when I stomped on it for about 5 sec. around 220 of the miles are interstate.

without hand calculating we dont know what your mileage is .

6fourstroker

Reaction score

I can attest to this as well. In my reg cab zf6 6.4 with Spartan dash was reading 26-28. I don't remember what it was hand calculated at but I was in the mid 600's per full tank now I'm around 400 with mini maxx and gear head.. :(

golfpro2301

Reaction score
A rough hand calc is at 16.2 which doesnt make sense with the dash guage showing close to 30 on interstate. I know those are never right but are they off that much. I thought they were off by 5 or 6 and since most of my driving is interstatete it just seems really odd with mileage I am getting.

djr4x4

Reaction score
I dunno why but it seems with the spartan tunes it throws the lie-o-tector off really bad.. Maybe the light peddle control? I dunno... I noticed on the 300 tune the lie-o-tector would read anywhere from 22-28 mpg pending my drive etc but hand calc I was anywhere in the 15-17 range for avg ( this is multiple fillups ).. When I swapped to the 210 tune the lie-o-tector dropped dramatically down, to around 19 for an avg mpg, and I'm sure it would drop more if I'd stay on that particular tune long enough. haha.. My avg hand calc would still be in the 15-16 range on avg..

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thought this was the 6.7 section not 6.4,totally different animals so the mileage of a 6.4 is totally irrelevant or am i missing something?

JRLott

Reaction score
I got 17.6 (with dash showing 18 or 18.1) from Midland to Waco running 80-100 and driving like an idiot on the race tune. Probably would have been better running a bit slower and a lot smoother. Dash is showing 14-14.5 around town. If it is exactly right, no problem, but if it is the standard .5-1 off, it's getting worse in town than factory. Factory and SCT would show about 15 and get 14-14.5.
Hot street seemed about the same on the road and in town, but I haven't run it much.
Street runs very well and does fine on fuel in town, but I can't remember what it was getting. I want to say it was in the 15.2-15.5 range. Tunes were very new, I was playing too much, and I haven't run it on the highway
I haven't tried tow around town or on the road, except pulling a 12-14k fifth wheel from College Station to Midland. It got 9.3-9.5 on that trip running 70-75.
All are hand calculated unless otherwise stated. Dash has nearly always shown about 1mpg better than actual. Sometimes as far off as 1.3 and as close as .3.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I dunno why but it seems with the spartan tunes it throws the lie-o-tector off really bad.. Maybe the light peddle control? I dunno... I noticed on the 300 tune the lie-o-tector would read anywhere from 22-28 mpg pending my drive etc but hand calc I was anywhere in the 15-17 range for avg ( this is multiple fillups ).. When I swapped to the 210 tune the lie-o-tector dropped dramatically down, to around 19 for an avg mpg, and I'm sure it would drop more if I'd stay on that particular tune long enough. haha.. My avg hand calc would still be in the 15-16 range on avg..

I read in one of threads Mark K said for 6.4 and older trucks the DTE and AVG MPG goes off of pulse width only. The reason why its totally off with tunes.

6.7 AVG MPG and DTE seems accurate goes off gallons used,miles traveled,time and bunch of other things.

Nothing beats hand calculating though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
my mpg calculator is off by a couple mpg in the extreme tune. off 1 to 1.5 in the performance tune and spot on in my street tune. reads low in my tow tune.. weird..

live life full throttle

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

the 6.4 and 6.7 have completely different computers. apples to oranges.

Latest posts

Members online