Best waterpump

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
I might just do the ih with the filter change over and sell my cousin my filter set up for $75 bucks as hes looking into one for his 2000. Seems like the only long lived, american made, good quality pump is that one. With its built in shut off for the filter change and quality it seems the best option. Just get the short version thermostat, and heater hose nipple with universal lower hose and good to go. Oh and 2-3 filters to have around. Will the billet top from dieselsite fit as I never really took notice?

Reaction score
yes the billet housing will work....the trouble with the universal hose is the radiator end of the hose is too big...you need to fill the gap with a second hose..i don't like that idea.. dieselsite will sell just the hose out of his kit..looks factory and fits factory.. kinda pricey but its also a life time hose... worth the extra IMO..
http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsitelowerradiatorhoseforinternationalwaterpump-1999-200373l.aspx

you also need to replace a couple bolts for longer bolts..i got mine as a bolt kit from IH and put in all new bolts...

dieselsite has a IH water pump kit with everything you need..in the end it may be just as cheap to buy it..i dont know if his pump is usa made though...
http://www.dieselsite.com/1996-2003ford73lnewwaterpump-1.aspx

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Awesome I didnt know they sold just the hose and I dont like the idea of jimmy rigging any hoses lol hard enough to keep them from leaking when they fit right. Ill check into the bolt kit also and prob just buy the new bolts.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Anyone know the thread size for the heater hose nipple or a part number? Id believe its 3/4 hose but dont know the thread size. I can get the international pump black in color for $110.00 new so it would be alot cheaper to collect everything else as I have the billet therm housing already.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
This is the part number he gave me for the pump is it correct? It looks correct just black instead of raw cast. Part #1889249C91 same as part #WP181693 he says it was for a bus.

A/Ox4

Reaction score

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
The problem is years ago oem was american and the first aftermarket pump I put on (5 years ago and 100k miles) I believe was even made in america but now almost all are china crap as I believe the one they gave me for the lifetime replacement exchange is china as it doesnt even have the same markings or number as the original lifetime one. I asked about it and they said the first one I bought came from a company not in buisness anymore. I should have just said give me my $160.00 bucks back and got the international one then but couldnt as I work 6 days at 12hrs a day and couldnt tie the truck up for days waiting on it. This one seeps a little so I can use it till I gather up what I need for a better not china pump then swap it out one day and take this one back for a refund.

Arisley

Reaction score
Don't bet the ranch on a refund. It is a lifetime replace when it fails warranty, not a give you your money back warranty.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Ive done it 4 times in the last 2 years already between the thermostat,starter, alternator, and power steering pump and now it will be with the water pump. Had to go with all oem for them to last. Just use the excuse you were out of town when it went and the only place near where you were was a ford dealer and pay threw the nose to get the part. Works every time.

TARM

Reaction score
The last time I checked which was roughly 2 yrs ago the OEM IH pump which is Alliant brand is made in the USA. There is one caveat to this, the actual casting itself is from China but all the assembly and internal parts are from here in the USA.

TARM

Reaction score
Just as an update I have installed both the Alliant and Eastern Industries versions of the IH pump. The EI is the one I got from Tycorr and installed in my X, the Alliant in a friends truck. Some of the data I have seen actually states the EI has a higher rated bearing set. Not sure as I have not seen the data with my own eyes but its what was stated in a discussion. There is a ton of info on these pumps and the swap/upgrade over on Ford trucks forum.

Here is one link that has a decent amount of info: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1109980-t444e-water-pump.html

The pump I traded with Tycorr that is the less costly of the two in terms of price tag now has close to 2 yrs on it and still it fine. Bob @ diesel site has a great full kit for those that want everything ready to go. It includes not only the pump but the billet housing, Tstat, 3 filters, he had custom fitted hose made so no flex hose for the bottom one or using a bushing as I had to for fit, all the bolts and heater hose. He even had ground down the extra boss and installed the tstat and housing. All you are left to do is install the pump and hoses. I have not done the math but it seem with the billet housing the fitted formed lower hose the bolt set t-stat and filters $399 is not a bad price.

I hope this is the last pump I have to install for at least 200K. We will see. It has already beat the every 12-18 month replacement for the ford pumps. OF course part of that could be I did not have a bypass filter on it. But I had done full flushes every time I replaced the pump and already ran Cummins ELC coolant. I seriously tend to wonder if the pump they put on at the factory is manf at a different place then the ones we get as OEM replacement. Sort of like the motorcraft batteries, same company but the originals are USA manf and the replacements are Mex and a apparently noticeable difference in duty life according to what I have read. Who knows !?! Its getting hard to by USA manf stuff anymore even if you are willing to pay the premium for it.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Is the thermostat gasket and the lower neck gasket the same size? I have a slow drip around the lower neck and have an extra thermostat gasket.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
there 2 different o-rings totally in size and shape. The bottom one is flat on the inside and comes to a point on the outside. If your lower inlet pipe is rusty or pitted just get a new one of those too as I cleaned mine all up nice and painted it and it still leaked so I ended up redoing the job again with a new lower neck and is all dry. I lightly clear coated the new one with engine enamel with ceramic as the factory coating alone is junk to prevent rust.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
I put a light smear of coolant on my o-ring before bolting it on the pump so it had some lube to slide or move into position when I tightened it. The bottom is totally different then the top o-ring though.

Latest posts

Members online