Billet blocks?

Buffalo444

Reaction score
A billet PSD block is about $18K or so when I talked about it in passing a few years ago.

Ouch. Thats a kick in the nads. It would be cheaper every time to go with a forged block.

Swamps quoted me an engine, fully built, for just under 25k. I can't imagine spending an additional 18k + who knows what for billet heads (might as well if you're going that far) it just far and away exceeds logic IMO. if it couldn't be broken... I would buy it. But I can beat up an anvil with a bag of cotton balls, so it think buying stock blocks would make more sense...

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh for the typical racers or street high perf that maybe the case but what about something like someone that has the $$$ invested like a DO. I would guess we are talking over $100K which in that case $18K in just a drop in the bucket. That is just a wild guess on what is invested in a setup like DO.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I doubt Ben spent all that money to build DO in one season though.

I doubt very many people period spend 18k in one season. Probably only a half dozen guys in any given league that could, but most pullers have been working at it for a few years.

18k is a big ass chunk to bite off at once, I don't care who you are.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Swamps quoted me an engine, fully built, for just under 25k. I can't imagine spending an additional 18k + who knows what for billet heads (might as well if you're going that far) it just far and away exceeds logic IMO. if it couldn't be broken... I would buy it. But I can beat up an anvil with a bag of cotton balls, so it think buying stock blocks would make more sense...

Is that including injectors, turbo(s), oil, fuel system, etc?

That's a crapload more than they quoted me, one of the many times I've called and wasted their time :(

TARM

Reaction score
I doubt Ben spent all that money to build DO in one season though.

I doubt very many people period spend 18k in one season. Probably only a half dozen guys in any given league that could, but most pullers have been working at it for a few years.

18k is a big ass chunk to bite off at once, I don't care who you are.

But are you treating labor as though its free? Just put even a low hourly wage to it and watch those numbers explode.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Is that including injectors, turbo(s), oil, fuel system, etc?

That's a crapload more than they quoted me, one of the many times I've called and wasted their time :(

Yes it did. It was a complete drop in engine. EVERYTHING, no cores. Brand new all around.

skylinedan

Reaction score
Less we forget the NASCAR teams that spend an adverage of a million on their engine programs, but that being said how many build engines for other teams too ? When i built motors years ago, I would always say you have to pay to play, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Most times a lot though.
Dan

TARM

Reaction score
The other thing is this block cost will likely be spread over several season compared to a couple blocks a season if that is actually the case. It can also be repaired unlike cast iron. Given those things I think it might actually save you money and certainly time. Not having blocks let go. All the machining and prep. The full rebuilds. Other parts that get damaged. IMO the fact is this could be a cost savings to those at the top levels but way outside the budget of those below this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.