billet cam

Stroked777

Reaction score
Fwiw I bought a cam through a dealer from RCD and noticed drops in egts and little better spool up, Granted it's on a 6.4. Only thing I lost was a few pounds of boost. I use to hit 52psi but now the max I see is 47psi. The cam definitely broadens the power curve. Feels like it still had balls even at 3500-4000 Rpms. Most I revved it to was 4300

Reaction score
On a larger cam such as the billet one in Levi's engine, it helps the engine move more air. Think of it this way, the intake valves are open longer allowing more air in the cylinder. This coupled along with the using same turbo you will see less boost because your using a larger quantity of air.

The cams do not affect idle. The only reason a gas engine lopes is from the poor vacuum signal to the carburetor cause by the overlap in a bigger cam. This is not an issue with a diesel. The injectors don't give two sh*ts what cam is in the engine. Therefore you have a smooth idle. Same reason fuel injected engines idle smooth even with decently large cams.

They also open the exhaust valve sooner thus allowing the cylinder to empty faster and more completely. This also enters higher velocity air into the exhaust with the positive effect of quicker spool.

Last edited:

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
On a larger cam such as the billet one in Levi's engine, it helps the engine move more air. Think of it this way, the intake valves are open longer allowing more air in the cylinder. This with the same turbo you will see less boost because you using a larger quantity of air.

The cams do not affect idle. The only reason a gas engine lopes it from the poor vacuum signal to the carburetor cause by overlap in a bigger cam. This is not an issue with a diesel. The injectors don't give two sh*ts what cam is in the engine. Therefore you have a smooth idle. Same reason fuel injected engines idle smooth even with decently large cams.

They open the exhaust valve sooner thus allowing the cylinder to empty faster and more completely. This also enters higher velocity air into the exhaust with the positive effect of quicker spool.

Ahh, good explanation. So I could potentially do a stage 3 cam, fly cut pistons, valve springs and push rods and it would run the same and be as reliable as running a stage 1 cam with the springs and push rods?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.