Black smoke deceleration.

obs'r

Reaction score
Hi, my dad bought a super duty 7.3 this past fall. To my knowledge the truck is stock. While looking under the hood the other day I noticed two bolts on the exhaust housing on the turbo had completely walked out. Luckily they never left the top of the turbo and I was able to put loc tite on them and put them back in. I pulled the intake hose off and inspected to make sure it spun well and there was no play while I was there. Everything seemed fine. We hauled a load of tractors to a show today and the truck ran great! There was tons of boost compared to what we had. When we got home I dropped trailed and took it for a Drive around the block. Was in od and floored it to see what it would do. When I let off there was a cloud of smoke that poorer out of the exhaust. It was almost like a turned up p pumped cummins but it happened when I let off the pedal. This greatly concerned me and I could not get it to happen again. This truck is bone stock accept exhaust which is just straight piped. I have no idea what is wrong and dont have any idea where to start.

Cody

Reaction score
my truck pre modded would do this only on rare rare occasion i never really dug into it and modded it shortly after

Cody

Reaction score
i can only recall it happening one time vividly and after i shut the truck off it didnt do it again to be honest i totally forgot about it untill i read this thread, that was almost 30k miles ago on my truck

dmd

Reaction score
It is a 2000? Those bolts that fell out were common then if they are the four that
hold the housing to the center. They made some new bolts that wont come loose. No
matter what you try they will come out again, some even tried ceramic hold tight
and they came loose...

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Ya mean like this? :cursing:

IMAG1843.jpg

The other (2) bolts that hold the housing on are down here - the turbo hold-down bolts are 'in the way' of replacing them...

IMAG1844.jpg

This didn't cause any problems, I just noticed it on a pre-trip inspection. AFAIK, other than losing drive pressure, the only damage from this would be if housing moved enough to contact exhaust wheel. The oil seals, journal bearings, etc are in the center section.

obs'r

Reaction score
Yeah both of the top ones fell out like that. I'm just going to keep watching them and retightening them.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Like andy said saftey wire them once and be done with it. Or buy the upgraded bolts from ford

Latest posts

Members online